Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards Checking Accounts (RCA)

tag
billpayer21
Established Member

Re: Rewards Checking Accounts (RCA)

LTT

I appreciate the tips. I will add to my arsenal. 

Message 11 of 26
billpayer21
Established Member

LTT

I came across it a couple of months ago when someone posted it on Doctor of Credit website. 

They stated about the Texas only but indicated they were able to join although they lived in Louisana. I decided by joining the Texas Consumer Council and got in. BTW they didn't even as for proof. 

it is a winner. 

Message 12 of 26
billpayer21
Established Member

South Jamaica,

Thanks for sharing!

I am seeking the top tier. 

Like 3% (or 2% with a high max such as 20k or 25k)

Nationwide

No hard pull 

Message 13 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@billpayer21 wrote:

LTT

I came across it a couple of months ago when someone posted it on Doctor of Credit website. 

They stated about the Texas only but indicated they were able to join although they lived in Louisana. I decided by joining the Texas Consumer Council and got in. BTW they didn't even as for proof. 

it is a winner. 

While I usually don't mind living on the edge, the relevant part of the application process has you affirm (under penalty of perjury blah blah blah) that you are a voting member of the Texas Consumer Council who resides in TX.    Since the latter would easily be shown to be false  in any audit (or even checking the address I supply!), the slight improvement over ETFCU isn't worth the risk, for me!

Message 14 of 26
billpayer21
Established Member

LTT

Truly understand 

Message 15 of 26
billpayer21
Established Member

Team

Does anyone know of a similar account like the described Thrive account below at Hanscom FCU at other credit unions?

Hanscom Federal Credit Union (HFCU) has hiked back up the rate on their CU Thrive account to 5.00% APY, which is a capped certificate of deposit that rewards consistent saving. The rate is set for 12 months, and during those 12 months you can transfer up to $500 every month from a HFCU checking account. No monthly fees. However, you cannot make any withdrawals during those 12 months, or you will be subject to an early withdrawal penalty of 90 days interest.

This product is not meant for big balances. Instead, it is meant to encourage the creation AND maintenance of a modest savings habit. 5.00% APY is more than 10 times what the top “high-yield” savings accounts offer right now.

How much interest can I earn? At 5% APY, if you maxed out this account and set aside the full $500 a month for 12 months, at the end you’d have put in $6,000 and earned about $150 in interest by the end of the year (~$162 if you made every transfer on the 1st of the each month by my quick calculations). $6,000 also happens to be just about the same amount as a full Roth IRA contribution (hint hint) or the foundation of a solid emergency fund.

Message 16 of 26
billpayer21
Established Member

Folks

This Booster Checking at Bellco is a winner. Anyone can join the CU by making a 10.00 donation to Bellco Foundation. 

2.25% - Up to 25k

https://www.bellco.org/personal/checking-convenience/checking/boost-checking.aspx

Message 17 of 26
kremonis
Regular Contributor

@billpayer21 wrote:

Team

Does anyone know of a similar account like the described Thrive account below at Hanscom FCU at other credit unions?

Hanscom Federal Credit Union (HFCU) has hiked back up the rate on their CU Thrive account to 5.00% APY, which is a capped certificate of deposit that rewards consistent saving. The rate is set for 12 months, and during those 12 months you can transfer up to $500 every month from a HFCU checking account. No monthly fees. However, you cannot make any withdrawals during those 12 months, or you will be subject to an early withdrawal penalty of 90 days interest.

This product is not meant for big balances. Instead, it is meant to encourage the creation AND maintenance of a modest savings habit. 5.00% APY is more than 10 times what the top “high-yield” savings accounts offer right now.

How much interest can I earn? At 5% APY, if you maxed out this account and set aside the full $500 a month for 12 months, at the end you’d have put in $6,000 and earned about $150 in interest by the end of the year (~$162 if you made every transfer on the 1st of the each month by my quick calculations). $6,000 also happens to be just about the same amount as a full Roth IRA contribution (hint hint) or the foundation of a solid emergency fund.

@billpayer21 

This hi breed product looks like a cross between a high interest saving /checking account and a CD. Hard pass for me. It has many of the disadvantages of both and few of the advantages.

Try Chief Financial Credit Union Kasasa checking account.

5.00% APY* on balances up to $5000

Have at least 12 debit card purchases post and settle

Cash App works for this!

Be enrolled in and agree to receive eStatements

Be enrolled in and log into online banking

***NOTE this was the case when I opened to account***

No HP or Chex

Anyone can join with $25 donation.

Message 18 of 26
JtAlmond
Valued Member

Theres an internet bank having a1.01% no fees demand account calls themself Quontic Bank.  They take high deposits but you must make at least 10 POS transactions of at least $10 to get the high rate otherwise get only .01% interest.  For quite a spell this was the highest of all bank accounts checking or savings as well as besting all the 1 year CD rates.  Now that rates are slated to climb i imagine i will be exiting that program.

Message 19 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JtAlmond wrote:

Theres an internet bank having a1.01% no fees demand account calls themself Quontic Bank.  They take high deposits but you must make at least 10 POS transactions of at least $10 to get the high rate otherwise get only .01% interest.  For quite a spell this was the highest of all bank accounts checking or savings as well as besting all the 1 year CD rates.  Now that rates are slated to climb i imagine i will be exiting that program.

The rate is nothing special for reward checking, e.g ETFCU is 3.3%, but what makes Quontic stand out is that the highish rate covers balances of up to $150K (ETFCU is only $20K, others offering higher rates much less, like $3K).

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.