Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving's Account Rates

tag
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Saving's Account Rates

@Green456 wrote:
I am just curious. Why did you pick Barclay's over Ally, Marcus and 360?

1)

I found Barclays to have much faster transfers and not hold my money for 4 or 5 days.

If i push from my CU, it is there and available the next day (No hold).

The fine print says they can hold for 5 days but they have never done so for me.

My transfers are usually between 1,000 and 5,000.

Maybe if my transfers were larger or I did not have as much in the savings things would be different.

If i push from Barkclays to my CU, the same is true. (Next day no hold)

* Ally, Marcus and C1-360, all held my money for 4 or 5 days with the same amount in saving, same transfer amounts, and from the same CU account.

* This along with #2  prompted me to close a few accounts. Ally, Marcus , and C1-360.

2)

I am old, stubborn and have a flip-phone with phone service that cost me $10 for 4 months, have little need for a smart phone and $50 month service. Not having a smart phone, I need the ability to use a scanner to deposit checks, of which I receive a few every month.

Ally and Marcus never had this feature, and C1-360 killed it 9 months ago.

This is when I started a search for a savings that I could deposit my checks by using a scanner.

Barclays was the winner.

3)

I also like a a combo of CD'd and savings.  Barclays was the winner when looking at both sides of the coin. Cd rates and savings at the same institution. Marcus was 2nd with combined rates and C1-360 3rd.

4)

My interest rate has increased almost every month in the last 5-6 months, they don't just lock you in.

It changes with the market.

I found C1-360, slow to change earning rates. Marcus was good.

Message 11 of 15
iced
Valued Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

1)

I found Barclays to have much faster transfers and not hold my money for 4 or 5 days.

The fine print says they can hold for 5 days but they have never done so for me.

Maybe if my transfers were larger or I did not have as much in the savings things would be different.

* Ally, Marcus and C1-360, all held my money for 4 or 5 days with the same amount in saving, same transfer amounts, and from the same CU account.

* This along with #2  prompted me to close a few accounts. Ally, Marcus , and C1-360.

2)

I am old, stubborn and have a flip-phone with phone service that cost me $10 for 4 months, have little need for a smart phone and $50 month service. Not having a smart phone, I need the ability to use a scanner to deposit checks, of which I receive a few every month.

This is when I started a search for a savings that I could deposit my checks by using a scanner.

Barclays was the winner.

3)

I also like a a combo of CD'd and savings.  Barclays was the winner when looking at both sides of the coin. Cd rates and savings at the same institution. Marcus was 2nd with combined rates and C1-360 3rd.

4)

My interest rate has increased almost every month in the last 5-6 months, they don't just lock you in.

I also use Barclays, mainly for reasons 1 and 4. They're reliable, the website works well (the mobile app is ok for checking balances but has some work to do) and they're consistently in the top bracket for interest rate. I've kept money with them around 5 years now, and there would be pockets of a month or two where some other bank would have a slightly higher rate, but then they'd adjust and be right back on the top.

I'm of course excluding rates from high-yeld accounts with strings attached (debit cards, maximum balance, etc).

Message 12 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I don't really use any of those options I do have an ally account as a backup , I use mostly my CU for savings and checking since its easier for me to transfer money when I have to that way. I use alliant their savings rates aren't always the highest, right now its at 1.95% , but there are no min so i am happy about that. Their checking is also .65%. So i don't have to worry too much about transferring from saving to checkign and waiting a day or two its instant since its in same institution from what i understand. They have cds also , their 5 year is ~3% i haven't checked recently , i don't have any of their cds. One of the final reasons i like them is for reimbursement on using any atm even if its not in their network.

I would say the only thing i wish they had was no ftf atm fees , but thats asking for a lot since i don't know too many places that waive that , i think charles schwab checking is the only one i know

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

@Green456 wrote:

1)

2)

Barclays was the winner.

3)

4)

Seriously! I was floored the first time I made a transfer and it posted the next day! And I  totally agree about the interest rate and CD products. Their CD rates are right up there! Good to know about scanned deposits too, although all mine are direct deposit so far.

Message 14 of 15
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Kforce wrote:

2)

Barclays was the winner.

Not to go too far off topic, but I'm old & stubborn too and I resisted a smart phone for the longest time but got one a few years ago and very quickly loved it. I'm not a big talker and talking is the thing I use my smart phone for, I use it primarily as a hand held computer. So those unlimited talk plans have little benefit for me, I use Tracfone pre-paid - $20 for 3 months usage, and important to me in a rural area Tracfone uses Verizon which is the best network in my area. And as Tracfone is pre-paid no credit HP to activate. I have a scanner, but using the smart phone for mobile deposits is much, much easier.

And back on topic, I'm happy with Memory Bank, online only division of Republic Bank. 1.65% on checking and 2.25% on Money Market, and 1 day ACH pulls. I joined last spring for a $100 SUB, no longer available,  and decided it was a keeper. I've had a Barclays card for several years but with their history of adverse action on accounts with no warning & little reason, plus their history of smerfing popular cards I don't trust them with my banking - they don't AA or smerf banking accounts (so far) but if they did that to my cards I sure as heck would not want to bank with them.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.