Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schwab Brokerage Account questions

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Schwab Brokerage Account questions

For those that have a Schwab brokerage account do you guys remember if it is a HP or SP to open one?  If so who do they HP or SP being EQ, Exp or TU?  I don't want a margin account or anything of the likes(can understand why they would pull if that was the case) and won't even try for the checking account due to how sensitive they are with Chex's.   Also really any fees other than the normal 4.95 trade fees being other hidden fees?  Min in brokerage account balance they say none, but find that kinda hard to believe.  Obviously I would have more than that for various reasons as want to play a bit with some trading other than my 401k, 403b account, etc..  Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer above questions.

Have a fidelity Cash Management and brokerage account and that was a SP and free, etc.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Schwab Brokerage Account questions

I think I got the brokerage account in 2011. No history for them to pull.

Adding checking in 2014. CK said HP on EQ but the full report said SP.

Added margin in 2018 for options approval sufficient to sell covered puts, no HP.

There is a $75 partial outgoing ACAT fee (applying to securities but not cash) which is pretty harsh if you plan to chase brokerage bonuses elsewhere.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 49
tacpoly
Established Contributor

I’m a minimalist when it comes to number of accounts so I’m wondering if you already have an account with Fidelity, why do you want one with Schwab?  They pretty much offer the same things as far as I know. 

Message 3 of 49
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

For those that have a Schwab brokerage account do you guys remember if it is a HP or SP to open one?  If so who do they HP or SP being EQ, Exp or TU?  I don't want a margin account or anything of the likes(can understand why they would pull if that was the case) and won't even try for the checking account due to how sensitive they are with Chex's.   Also really any fees other than the normal 4.95 trade fees being other hidden fees?  Min in brokerage account balance they say none, but find that kinda hard to believe.  Obviously I would have more than that for various reasons as want to play a bit with some trading other than my 401k, 403b account, etc..  Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer above questions.

Have a fidelity Cash Management and brokerage account and that was a SP and free, etc.

I have had a very positive experience over the years, No hidden fee's, At least I have not encountered them.

Customer Service has always been Top Tier.

I opened mine 25+ years ago (maybe 30) can't really remember. back then I never checked my Credit.

from what DP's I have read on the forum, Most everyone says HP. I am not sure what Bureau EQ?

Older Data  ..But I think still Valid?

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Strategy-for-new-CC-Freedom-and-Charles-Schwab/m-p/305...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=opening%20schwab%20account%20hp&adv...

Message 4 of 49
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@tacpoly wrote:

I’m a minimalist when it comes to number of accounts so I’m wondering if you already have an account with Fidelity, why do you want one with Schwab?  They pretty much offer the same things as far as I know. 

Fidelity account will be closed soon as old employer used it basically as a 403b, but opened up a CMA as well, etc. when I was with them

Message 5 of 49
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@CreditCuriosity,  One more thing,  ... I just read in your post.

Last I knew, You had to keep a minimum of $1000.00,

($1K) across all of your combined accounts with Schwab.

As I have 7-8 Accounts, (A few are for my children) .. I have never run into what happens below $1K.

Those guidelines may or may not have changed over the years.

Message 6 of 49
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Hard pull Equifax.

Data Point: Texas, 2 months ago.

Message 7 of 49
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I have had a Schwab account since 2005.  For the last 10 years or so there has been approximately $.03 in there and a handful of OTCC stocks with no value.  Have never been charged a fee, the only reason it's still open.  

Message 8 of 49
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks all for the dp's.  So appears EQ HP to open mise well get a margin account if taking the hp?  Although would never plan on using it.  Doubt chex's would come into play as wouldnt be opening a checking just a brokerage acct.

Message 9 of 49
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Did not pop up on my Chex report that I requested to be mailed to me a month or two later.
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.