Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Seeking a budget app with specific features

Super helpful @iced. You must be a software person Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
PineCat
Established Member

In a past life I did some work on a project that used a data aggrigation service for investment accounts. I think something similar is used by many of these apps to retrieve transaction data. The accuracy of these apps in real-time cannot be any greater than what information is made available from the bank's transaction data.

The problem with real-time card transactions and pending status: many times the correct amount isn't available right away. This is common with pay-at-the-pump gas stations and places where you add a tip to the transaction. A 'preauthorization' is done at the time the card is swiped, but the transaction isn't finalized until the establishment does a 'batch settlement' of transactions - sometimes the end of the day, or maybe two or three days later.

This is made worse by the fact that many institutions don't even include pending transactions in the data they export or make available to the aggirgation service. For example, I can download transactions from my credit union. The pending transactions are not made available in this data.

It's one of the reasons I still do everything manually. Perhaps some day in the future, the banks and credit card processors will get together on a standard for transaction data access, and hopefully have some better way of handling these pending transactions.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not looking at reply's but YNAB has been a life changer for us & everyone i know.
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

YNAB does connect to your cc’s and your banks & any other accounts..
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.