cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service charge Income

tag
ginsalon

Service charge Income

not cc related but I would like some info if someone ever had experience. I recently had my checking account NSF for a month Im not sure why the bank didnt close my account yet. But couple days ago i notice my NSF has been paid off and Note on a check "SERVICE CHARGE INCOME"

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Service charge Income

Hey there,
I'm not sure who you bank with and each bank operates differently but NSF generally means the same across board = no sufficient funds which means your balance is 0 and below. I'm not sure of the circumstances as I've been both blessed as well as worked my arse off to not be in that position, however if I didn't have luck on my side, I probably would have an account that NSF (so far I'm knocking out 0 in the last ten years *knockonwood*) but basically I'm not judging and if this comes off like that, I apologize..I'm pretty blunt.

But bank accounts are in essence, something that the bank privileges you with, just like you privilege them with your money (to sit there and garner interest).

There is an agreement that you sign on for, and disclosures they provide you, much like a cc.

If you spend more than what you owe, you get dinged for that. If you don't meet certain criteria, you get dinged on that (monthly service fees). People often don't understand why there is one...well it's like a storage unit, you don't give those folks your stuff to hold for free do you? Just like your money, you don't give it to an institution to hold for free. They often make it complimentary because they want to win more of your relationship and they've done their part to try and ensure that (eg direct deposits of X waives the monthly service fee)

Some banks will wait for a few months before charging off your account if it's in the red. Some won't...it really depends on what they've experienced in the past and feedback...I can't tell you how many folks have themselves in a hole of -X,xxx but need more than a month to pay that down...

That's why your bank didn't close your account right away. If you wanted it closed, you should ask them to do so.

Also if the NSF has been paid off, depending on their procedures, most likely if it's small enough they'll let it go...if not, they can put you in chexsystem, and or take further action

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Service charge Income

Can you see a copy of the check? Does it say debit or credit? My guess is the bank is crediting back the amount the account was negative so it can be closed and charged off on their system. This is common, although it is usually electronic. Also like the poster above said there is not a set timeframe that a bank must charge off your account, or when they should report you to Chexsystems and collections. The larger banks usually have a set timeline but a small bank may leave it up to the branch where your account is domiciled. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.