cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seven states require free extra credit reports!

tag
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Seven states require free extra credit reports!

I just found out that as a resident of Colorado I am entitled by state law to receive an additional credit report free from the credit bureaus!

As most MFers know, federal law gives consumers the right to a free credit report once a year from each of the credit bureaus. What I just learned is that residents of Colorado, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Vermont also have the right to receive an additional free credit report as mandated by their respective state law. 

That is one free credit report every two months! So if you MFers are lucky enough to live in one of these seven enlightened credit conscious states, you have one more weapon in your credit management arsenal. I am surprised that California and New York has not mandated this as well. I am also surprised that Georgia is one of the seven states as Equifax is located in Atlanta. 

Is this common knowledge? Most all MFers know about annualcreditreport.com but what about this additional benefit?

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Seven states allowed free extra credit reports!

That’s for the info!! As a NJ resident, that’s great news!! But how to obtain the 2nd set it the question?? 

Message 2 of 8
sunkissed
Established Contributor

I had no idea!! This is excellent information. Thank you!!

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 3 of 8
Medic981
Valued Contributor

"In Colorado, state law grants an additional free credit report from each of the three credit bureaus to all citizens every 12 months. That means that Coloradans can receive six free credit reports each year. Requests for the additional free reports must be made directly to each of the credit bureaus. Each bureau requires a different process:

• Equifax: Visit www.equifax.com/fcra. After filling out the name, address, and Social Security number fields, check “Free State Credit File (not denied)” under the “Reason for Credit File Request” header.
  • Experian: Visit www.experian.com/freestate or call 1-866-200-6020 to confirm eligibility and to request an extra free credit report via U.S. postal mail. The automated phone system uses the caller’s area code to identify the location, then provides options based from where the call originates.
  • TransUnion: Visit www.transunion.com. Click on “Learn about the Fair and Accurate Transactions Act (FACT Act) and other ways to get a free credit report.” On the “Learn More About Getting Your FACT Act Free Annual Credit Report” page, click the link that says, “Learn more about obtaining a free credit report if you meet one of the above conditions.” On the next page, click “Yes, I am eligible” next to option No. 4. You’ll then be taken to a page where you can select your state of residence so you can get your free report."

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Medic981 wrote:

"In Colorado, state law grants an additional free credit report from each of the three credit bureaus to all citizens every 12 months. That means that Coloradans can receive six free credit reports each year. Requests for the additional free reports must be made directly to each of the credit bureaus. Each bureau requires a different process:

• Equifax: Visit www.equifax.com/fcra. After filling out the name, address, and Social Security number fields, check “Free State Credit File (not denied)” under the “Reason for Credit File Request” header.
  • Experian: Visit www.experian.com/freestate or call 1-866-200-6020 to confirm eligibility and to request an extra free credit report via U.S. postal mail. The automated phone system uses the caller’s area code to identify the location, then provides options based from where the call originates.
  • TransUnion: Visit www.transunion.com. Click on “Learn about the Fair and Accurate Transactions Act (FACT Act) and other ways to get a free credit report.” On the “Learn More About Getting Your FACT Act Free Annual Credit Report” page, click the link that says, “Learn more about obtaining a free credit report if you meet one of the above conditions.” On the next page, click “Yes, I am eligible” next to option No. 4. You’ll then be taken to a page where you can select your state of residence so you can get your free report."

Awesome!!! Thanks a million!!! 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, I try to mention this at least a couple times a year:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/7-states-where-residents-get-extra-free-credit-report-1...

Up until 2017 (or was it 2016?) it was a big advantage to live in one of the Magnificient Seven, since there was no free monthly source of Experian reports.  But then Experian started offering doing that at creditscore.com, and before then you could get weekly TU and EQ reports at Karma, so it's not been as crucial as it once was.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay, Texas! Smiley Sad 

I wish I could at least get 3/year but Equifax keeps asking me dumb questions...

Message 7 of 8
ptkdude
Regular Contributor

Re: Seven states require free extra credit reports!

Georgia residents get TWO additional copies for free (three total), and TransUnion doesn't actually limit you.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.