Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should bank accounts have a Panic PIN?

tag
aynot4fitness
Contributor

Should bank accounts have a Panic PIN?

As a fan of crime-dramas, I've wondered for years why banks haven't created a way to let customers set a panic ATM PIN. It would be similar to an alarm company's panic password which tells them that you are in trouble without alerting the criminal.

For example, if someone withdraws money from your account using your panic PIN, the ATM would dispense the amount requested along with a receipt showing the new balance is zero. The ATM would then automatically notify local police and bank management, and make the ATM video available to the police.

What do you think of this idea? Any idea why no bank seems to have made this an option?

Personal

Business

:
:
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should bank accounts have a Panic PIN?

The folklore was that entering your PIN backwards at an ATM would alert the police. 

A variation of this "duress PIN code" was patented in 1997, but never implemented. I recall reading that banks were concerned that under duress, customers would not remember their alternate PIN, possibly panic, worsening a dangerous situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATM_SafetyPIN_software

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 2 of 36
aynot4fitness
Contributor

Thank you for the Wikipedia link @Gunnerboy I had not seen that info before. It is interesting that this concept has been floating around for almost 4 decades and federal and state legislatures have been tripping over themselves going back and forth on whether to implement it. I'm guessing that more than a few lives might have been saved in that time. Regarding the possibility that customers may not remember their duress PIN code, that is already a risk with their real PIN under such stressful conditions. I appreciate the info, so thanks.

Personal

Business

:
:
Message 3 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@aynot4fitness wrote:

Regarding the possibility that customers may not remember their duress PIN code, that is already a risk with their real PIN under such stressful conditions. I appreciate the info, so thanks.

Right, but I would think that you are far more likely to remember the PIN you use often, than an emergency one you may have set years ago and never used.   The backwards PIN legand is good for this, that would be a sensible choice for such a PIN!

Message 4 of 36
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Great question. It makes sense to implement something rather than nothing.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 5 of 36
privacyadvocate69
Contributor

I solve this issue by not carrying an ATM card with me.

Message 6 of 36
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@privacyadvocate69 wrote:

So how do you solve the issue when a mugger demands you go to an ATM and take a cash advance on your credit cards?

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 7 of 36
privacyadvocate69
Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

So how do you solve the issue when a mugger demands you go to an ATM and take a cash advance on your credit cards?

I don't. He's just going to have to shoot me.

I only carry one credit card, and I don't even know if it has a pin. If it does, I don't know what it is.

I haven't used my ATM card in years.  I probably don't remember the PIN for that either.

I also don't spend much mental energy  worrying about events that are extraordinarily unlikely to happen. What little energy I do put on it is in the relam of "prevention" rather than remediation. I think it's better to avoid putting yourself in situations where you're likely to be mugged than worry about what happens once you are.

Aside from all of that...most ATM cards have a limit of a few hundred dollars anyway. Not the end of the world if that gets stolen.

Message 8 of 36
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

I only carry one credit card, and I don't even know if it has a pin. If it does, I don't know what it is.

I also don't spend much mental energy  worrying about events that are extraordinarily unlikely to happen. What little energy I do put on it is in the relam of "prevention" rather than remediation. I think it's better to avoid putting yourself in situations where you're likely to be mugged than worry about what happens once you are.

Aside from all of that...most ATM cards have a limit of a few hundred dollars anyway. Not the end of the world if that gets stolen.

I thought you implied you don't carry an ATM card due to the possibility of getting mugged; if so then you put at least a little thought/worry into it.  Smiley Happy

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 9 of 36
privacyadvocate69
Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

I thought you implied you don't carry an ATM card due to the possibility of getting mugged; if so then you put at least a little thought/worry into it.  Smiley Happy

No. I don't carry an ATM card because:

1). I don't need to carry one.

2). I don't want to lose it and deal with the potential hassles involved.

LOSING my wallet is a high probability event for me. I lose stuff all the time. Sometimes I am trapped at home for hours because I can't find my **bleep** keys.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.