Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony personal loan?

tag
BuildingBetterCredit2020
New Contributor

Synchrony personal loan?

All - I'm about to make a large purchase in the neighborhood of 10K. While I can purchase it outright, I figured I may as well take advantage of the opportunity to continue to build up my credit scores by financing it. The retailer I'm purchasing from uses Synchrony Bank and has indicated that they have a no-interest loan for the first year if you pay it off.

Question - Is it worth rolling the dice with Synchrony? Or should I just go with my local credit union that I have a good relationship with? Or are there better alternatives (sofi, lightstream, etc)? 

Reason I ask is that I've read a fair amount of horror stories with people using Synchrony Bank for personal loans. Last thing I want to do is get screwed by an unscrupulous lender. Then again, those reviews might be posted by folks that weren't very good in handling their loan. Any and all comments appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sept 2023

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Synchrony personal loan?

Sync bank doesnt do personal loans that I know of.. I think you are referring to 0% interest for x months type of financing that is through one of their CC's.  Just ensure you pay it back in that time period or you get retro interest.  Yes alot of people have had issues with synchrony and alot have not.  Do what is best for your financial needs.  Based if you signature is correct you would be better off with Sync if you can pay it off in the terms of 12/24 month or whatever 0% financing if that is the way you want to go over a personal loan.   Based on signature alone you are probably looking at at 10-15% rate through a CU or other means such as some of companies you mentioned even though they offer low rates those are for prime credit so imo if you got the cash do the Sync route as that should be 0% and if it was to get shut down could pay off cash if that unlikely event was ever to happen

Message 2 of 5
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I agree with what was said above. I'd suggest paying well above minimum, and don't drag out the full term. Good luck!

Message 3 of 5
BuildingBetterCredit2020
New Contributor

I have every intent of paying this off before the year is up. My only concern is repeated reported stories of Synchrony "balance chasing" many of their customers; This practice seems to be pretty underhanded if you ask me. Solution in that case? Pay it down to the original CU I had before the CL decrease, or else pay it all off outright. Then wait to see if they do it again? Don't know if I want to get in this cycle, and/or have them just close it on me. Meanwhile, my credit score goes on a rollercoaster which I wouldn't be interested in. Thinking out loud - maybe the 10-15% with a different lender is worth it if I'm doubling up on payments and paying off early to avoid the potential hassle. 

Sept 2023

Message 4 of 5
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

Are you sure you will qualify for a $10,000 SL with the potential new Synchrony card for this purchase?  Not sure which card this is but I would think that would be a concern before worrying about the limit being lowered.

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.