Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Debit Card Denial?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target Debit Card Denial?

To gear up for my holiday shopping, I thought I should finally jump on the bandwagon and apply for the Target Debit RedCard.  I put in all my info and was shocked to see a 7-10 day message.  Whaaaaaaaa??  My first thought was to call and recon but I know it's sometimes best to wait until you receive the letter to call.  Any thoughts on this?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Debit Card Denial?

Do you have any baddies on your chexsystem report?

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, not a thing.  I just bought a house so my address is less than a month old.  That's the only thing I can think of that would raise a red flag.  It's a debit card, not a credit card.  I don't know why it would be denied.  

Message 3 of 11
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

You should wait for the letter.  Oftentimes these are ID issues and they want more information.  Of course you could call and ask too.

Message 4 of 11
Valued Contributor

Do they HP for the debit card?

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

Do they HP for the debit card?

No, they ask for your ssn but that's only to confirm your identity.  That's why I was so confused on how I was denied!  

Message 6 of 11
Valued Contributor

The soft pull can still be used to confirm identify.  I bet you that it's the new address and they just need to confirm it's really you.  I think they have a lot of liability under the federal laws to protect against money laundering and the Patriot Act.  They are required to confirm who they issue credit to.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

The soft pull can still be used to confirm identify.  I bet you that it's the new address and they just need to confirm it's really you.  I think they have a lot of liability under the federal laws to protect against money laundering and the Patriot Act.  They are required to confirm who they issue credit to.

That was my thinking too but I didn't know if anyone else had experienced this and could give direct btdt info.  I'll give a call and see what I can do.  Thanks!

Message 8 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Good luck OP, and let us know what you find out! 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you perhaps have another (old) REDcard linked to your same SSN that you have not cancelled?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.