Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Chase experiance

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

Re: Terrible Chase experiance

@Revelate wrote:

Hrm.  A piece of advice, when dealing with banks simply act like everything is absolutely fine.

But why? They are not the ones doing me a favor. There are plenty of banks and credit unions out there.

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

I don't blame them for trying to follow local laws and doing their due deligence. I blame them for incompetence. How am I suppose to trust them with my money if Chase employee from Texas tells me one things, customer service on the phone tells me another thing and person at the branch in NJ tells me another.

I don't disagree.  That is pretty crappy... unfortunately that crappiness can and does happen all the time to just about every bank imaginable.  Bad customer support lives everywhere.  

I am glad to see via your update that they got everything straightened out.  

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s foolish to believe that any financial institution is perfect. My recent saga with BECU, a credit union normally known for exemplary customer service, serves as a good reminder of this. 

Sorry that they put you through it. Unfortunately it’s not uncommon when you link external accounts as I found out with BECU. They don’t want to be on the hook for fraud and take steps necessary to prevent it. It’s possible that everything was done right at the branch and that the info given wasn’t sent to the department that ended up actually having your case dropped in their lap. It happens unfortunately and those departments almost always do everything through fax which I also found out from my misadventure with BECU. 

Message 13 of 26
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It’s foolish to believe that any financial institution is perfect. My recent saga with BECU, a credit union normally known for exemplary customer service, serves as a good reminder of this. 

Sorry that they put you through it. Unfortunately it’s not uncommon when you link external accounts as I found out with BECU. They don’t want to be on the hook for fraud and take steps necessary to prevent it. It’s possible that everything was done right at the branch and that the info given wasn’t sent to the department that ended up actually having your case dropped in their lap. It happens unfortunately and those departments almost always do everything through fax which I also found out from my misadventure with BECU. 

It's not the need for verification that I am upset about it is that two different people at two different parts of the country working for Chase told me that everything in my account is a okay and that submitted documents check out. Then no email, no phone call, no warning and my account is suspended and I talk to gentleman (sounded like foreign country) tell me that Chase does not have my driver license or proof of address... and is suspeneded. 

I was really not upset at all when they sent me a letter for need for verification. I was happy to come into branch 2nd time and provide them with all the documents they need. 

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Green!  Glad things eventually worked out, as per your update.

I hope that most or more likely all of us are 100% sympathetic with you.  It is frustrating to have tremendously bad luck with multiple customer service reps.  You are probably knowledgeable enough about statistics to realize that no matter how amazing an institution is on the whole, some lone customer somewhere is gonna have a stroke of really bad luck and have rep after rep make terrible decisions.  It just bites being that one customer with the bad luck!

Some lessons learned here:

(1)  As frustrating as it is, it's a jillion times worse when you have one bank.  My guess is that if you had 2-3 other banks that you did your "real" day to day stuff with, you would have been stressed out much less with this new Chase account.   Having the Chase accounts temporarily suspended or frozen would have been mildly irritating but since you didn't use them (yet) for anything it wouldn't have mattered.

We see a similar dynamic at play when a person has only 1-2 credit cards.  Mistakes by CSRs in that event become like an asteroid hitting the earth.  When you have 5 cards, though, you can just sigh and pull two more out of the sock drawer while the other issuer gets its act together.  That happened to me -- curiously enough! -- with Chase recently.  My CSR experience with Chase is generally amazing.  But they made some mistakes and kept needing to cancel and re-send my two Chase Freedom cards.  If those were my only cards I would have been wildly stressed.  But as it was it was closer to being water off a duck's back, because I had a number of others.

(2)  Related to #1 is the idea that when you open a new bank account (or credit card), plan on not needing to use it for anything important during the first few weeks, while you are let them get all the kinks worked out.  In the case of a CC, use it for only a few small benign purchases at local well-known merchants (Target, mcDonalds, Kroger, etc.) -- rather than immediately using it for big online purchases or using it out of state immediately.  With banks assume that it may take a while before they are fully convinced that you are not a criminal or other shady character and that any external accounts you have hooked up to it are also kosher.

PS.  You write:

I talked to my wife, we will keep this one open for now, get our bonus out of it and see how things go. But we may close their account 90 days from now and go with a credit union or a local bank.

Bear in mind that most banks and CUs have an early termination fee, especially for people who have grabbed a bonus and promptly closed the account.  With Chase you will lose the $600 signup bonus if you close before 180 days and might incur an additional ET fee as well.  180 days is the usual rule at most places, though people like myself who make a couple thousand dollars a year from opening and closing bank accounts (bonus chasers) never cut it that close.  I typically wait until 220 days have passed.

Message 15 of 26
MansaMusa
New Contributor

I've had issues with Chase and identity with opening credit card accounts. When I opened my first business credit card account I had to go to the branch 3 times, and make multiple phone calls about documents and information I had already given them. Months later when I applied for a second card I was told they could not verify information that they already had on file and previously verified for my 1st card. I said, "it's the exact same information that you ALREADY HAVE. Nothing has changed!" Chase denied me the second card because of these "verification" issues but promised me they would remove the hard inquiries from my credit file without me even asking. They never did remove them, and later claimed they could not.
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not the need for verification that I am upset about it is that two different people at two different parts of the country working for Chase told me that everything in my account is a okay and that submitted documents check out. Then no email, no phone call, no warning and my account is suspended and I talk to gentleman (sounded like foreign country) tell me that Chase does not have my driver license or proof of address... and is suspeneded. 

I was really not upset at all when they sent me a letter for need for verification. I was happy to come into branch 2nd time and provide them with all the documents they need. 

Something like that (i.e. the parts are not fully synchronized in terms of info/state, more priviliged ones such as those that can issue 'security shutdown/suspension' only has a subset of info available to the less priviliged entities) is usually a sign of a very good system design rather than a symptom of an internal communication failure. For example, the risk control could be shutting down your accounts while the marketing is trying to tempt you into 'upgrading' the same accounts.

Most banks are structured like that and there likely are banking laws requiring so. This prevents even severe local compromises from affecting the system like a whole. For example, even if someone succsefully bribes all local branch managers and employees, he/she still can't (easily) harm/game the bank to any significant degree.

That's why many have commented that this is possible for any bank (esp. the big ones). Glad to hear that it has been unlocked and it is certainly good advice to open some accounts elsewhere just in case and no hurry to shutdown your old accounts until the new ones are "proven".

Message 17 of 26
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Green456 wrote:

So Im moving to city/state where there is no wells fargo, bank of amreica and chase is the only national bank. Chase has a pretty good reputation up here and so I thought, I will have no issues.

To each his own but a mega bank is the last place I'd open an account. I'd look for a local credit union, and if there wasn't one I was eligible to join, a local bank.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 18 of 26
Green456
Established Contributor

Well. Chase seems to have pretty good reputation up here hence I was more open to give them a try.
At this point we will just keep the checking accounts and see how things go. Most likely we will use Alliant CU for major transactions and use Chase for petty cash.
Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

One option is to keep the Chase accounts open for a full 7 months (to prevent any AA associated with early account closure) and then close them.  Then reopen the accounts in 2021 to get the bonuses again.  We used to be able to get the bonuses once a year at Chase but they became more restrictive in Fall 2018. 

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.