Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Mess.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo Mess.

Hey everybody, A few weeks ago I called in to Wells Fargo to check to see if a check  (small student refund check from school) had cleared successfully , and the CSR said said yes it did. But while I was on the phone, he said their systems was also showing that I owed money, and I said "WHAT". While on the phone with this guy I had asked him to tell me the amount and what it was for, but he said the only thing it said was a notation saying that I owed money. I told him that was unbelievable and then hung up. I was wondering how can a bank say you owe something and they don't know what the amount is, and what it is owed for? To be safe, I ordered my Chexsystems report, and nothing is on there, as I have always managed my accounts responsibly and never had NSF's or overdrafts on open or closed accounts. I have also heard of a place called Early Warning Systems (Well's Fargo is one of the banks that use this system), should I order a report from there as well?

There is no way I owe any bank any money, and for Wells Fargo to say so must be a mistake on their end. I was thinking of contacting the CFPB to try to sort this out, is that advised? In addition, with all of the bad things I have heard about Wells Fargo, I might just take my business elsewhere soon. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wells Fargo Mess.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everybody, A few weeks ago I called in to Wells Fargo to check to see if a check  (small student refund check from school) had cleared successfully , and the CSR said said yes it did. But while I was on the phone, he said their systems was also showing that I owed money, and I said "WHAT". While on the phone with this guy I had asked him to tell me the amount and what it was for, but he said the only thing it said was a notation saying that I owed money. I told him that was unbelievable and then hung up. I was wondering how can a bank say you owe something and they don't know what the amount is, and what it is owed for? To be safe, I ordered my Chexsystems report, and nothing is on there, as I have always managed my accounts responsibly and never had NSF's or overdrafts on open or closed accounts. I have also heard of a place called Early Warning Systems (Well's Fargo is one of the banks that use this system), should I order a report from there as well?

There is no way I owe any bank any money, and for Wells Fargo to say so must be a mistake on their end. I was thinking of contacting the CFPB to try to sort this out, is that advised? In addition, with all of the bad things I have heard about Wells Fargo, I might just take my business elsewhere soon. 

Not certain that I'd be all up in arms over the issue yet; snafu's happen, and personally I'd be going down to one of the copious Wells branches and sitting my butt down in one of the chairs until they could tell me what was up, or who to go talk to to try to get more information at a bare minimum.

        
Message 2 of 5
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not certain that I'd be all up in arms over the issue yet; snafu's happen, and personally I'd be going down to one of the copious Wells branches and sitting my butt down in one of the chairs until they could tell me what was up, or who to go talk to to try to get more information at a bare minimum.

+1.  This.  As most folks have experienced, call any bank 3-4 times, you'll get 3-4 different answers to the very same question.  If you haven't already, call them back and ask the exact same question that you noted in your OP, and see if you get the same response, ie, that "you owe money".  Should be interesting to see/read the result.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you able to resolve the issue by visiting your local branch?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all of your responses in regards to this issue. But I might let it rest for now, I have reservations about calling in again asking them about the issue as it could wake up a problem for me, even if it is a snafu/error on their end. Chances are I might not hear about it again as the initial CSR might have made a mistake when he said I owed money, maybe he had confused me with someone else. And come to think of it, I remember the CSR informing me that he was in training at that time as well, so he probably did not know the ropes at the time. However it is still a nagging issue of why he would say that. For now I will leave the situation be. Later this year I might call in about the issue or visit a local branch to ask more questions about the issue. And if I find out they did make a snafu, I would definitely contact the CFPB to help me. The CFPB has proved to be a valuable tool in straightening out another big bank that I had problems with a while back. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.