cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your goal? Why play the FICO game?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is your goal? Why play the FICO game?

@iced wrote:

For bigger goals, I'll stop working once I either have $10 million saved up or turn 70... probably. I obsess over saving the way others here obsess over boosting their scores, so stopping may be hard to do.

I too am obsessed with saving money. Something about having that financial cushion even if it never gets used, takes away a lot of stress. My fiance on the otherhand is a free spirirt who loves the idea of spending money, I think we help balance eachother out. 

Message 21 of 26
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores are already considered "Excellent" so I am not too worried about improving my scores as much as I am focusing on maintaining them. At this point the only thing I can do to improve my scores is age my accounts and wait for inquiries to drop off. I am planning on purchasing a house in a little over 2 years so that should be a perfect amount of time to sit back, relax, and not apply for any new credit. 

I am having issues understanding the disparity between the posted scores being close to 750, which would get the very good designation, not the excellent. On fico 08, excellent is considered 800 or higher. So where are you seeing that your 748-755 are in the considered excellent catagory? Even the high acheivers requires 760+ on at least 1 fico 08 score. I also believe 760 pulls are required for receiving the lowest interest rates. Can someone figure out where I am going wrong here. In myfico pulls excellent is 800-850...right?

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores are already considered "Excellent" so I am not too worried about improving my scores as much as I am focusing on maintaining them. At this point the only thing I can do to improve my scores is age my accounts and wait for inquiries to drop off. I am planning on purchasing a house in a little over 2 years so that should be a perfect amount of time to sit back, relax, and not apply for any new credit. 

I am having issues understanding the disparity between the posted scores being close to 750, which would get the very good designation, not the excellent. On fico 08, excellent is considered 800 or higher. So where are you seeing that your 748-755 are in the considered excellent catagory? Even the high acheivers requires 760+ on at least 1 fico 08 score. I also believe 760 pulls are required for receiving the lowest interest rates. Can someone figure out where I am going wrong here. In myfico pulls excellent is 800-850...right?

Very good, excellent, fair, poor, etc, are not actually components of scoring. They’re designations that the CMS adds to make breakpoints for what scores lenders generally look for and nothing else. They can and do vary between CMS. 

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous ... "Debtors Prison" for you Smiley Sad
Message 24 of 26
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Well let’s see....I spent 20 years without credit cards because I had terrible credit. All my cards in college went to collections, and although I paid everything off eventually, the damage was done. The result was that all of my options in life became limited, and even though it became a way of life and taught me the value of money, I look back now and see how much of a prison it was. I was stuck in a sh*tty apartment for 9 years, with a 60-mile commute (each way). I had roommates because I couldn’t afford it on my own and wanted to save money. Any money I saved always went to repairing my car that had 325k miles before it finally died. Then trying to buy a used car to replace it with no credit brought its own limiting challenges. I also stayed in the same crappy job for the past 15+ years for fear that other companies would check my credit. Also, anytime I went on a vacation that required renting a car brought all sorts of anxiety and embarrassment from the lack of a credit card too. It wasn’t until I started dating someone who was very open about money and credit did I finally decide to take my head out of the sand and take action. Now I live in a beautiful apartment with a short commute and a brand new car that I financed all on my own. I have cards that reward every day purchases, and a nice, fat savings account for emergencies. Life with credit is good, and while I know that can change at anytime, I am much more well prepared for any curve balls that might come my way.

Message 25 of 26
jimmy2000
New Contributor

1) Your FICO score is an extremely important score for modern life.  Without a good FICO score, you'll run into unneccesary difficulty when trying to buy a home on a mortgage, get cell phone service, get cable, get an apartment because everyone looks at your credit report.

The way you get a solid score is to build history.  A great way is with a credit card that you forever and always pay 100% in full every single month.  On top of the credit card, you should have a very solid emergency fund in place so you don't have to resort to paying the extremely high interest rate on a credit card when the unexpected happens.

2) If you want to retire before 55, you best be slamming a LOT of your income into good retirement accounts.  Personally, I have around half of my money going into investments, though not all of it is in retirement accounts, some is in a brokerage, and some in a company stock plan.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.