Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which bank or CU?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which bank or CU?

So while I was apparently sleeping my CU rates and fees have gone from great to sucksville. They used to be the best game in town. Now I pay for checking and get a fraction of a % interest. So I tink it is time to bank shop. Here's what I've been looking at:

Online bank, such as Ally (probably Ally)- Great rates, great fees. No direct access to stuff, but I hardly ever go to my CU anyway.

A different local CU- there is at least one that still has no fee checking. Of course the interest rate still sucks like all of them do now, but I can go to the branch if I need to. About the only time that happens is because I need lots of small bills when cruising. Also, they do still have a personal touch when it comes to lending decisions.

A "big" bank, like Cap1 or chase. I have a CC with cap1 and a chase card in the mail, so this would sort of make sense. Their interest rates are not quite as good as Ally, but they are the "big" banks. Maybe there is some safety there. There is still no local branch for either of these where I live.

So what do you think of these options? Where do you park your money?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Which bank or CU?

@Anonymous wrote:

So while I was apparently sleeping my CU rates and fees have gone from great to sucksville. They used to be the best game in town. Now I pay for checking and get a fraction of a % interest. So I tink it is time to bank shop. Here's what I've been looking at:

Online bank, such as Ally (probably Ally)- Great rates, great fees. No direct access to stuff, but I hardly ever go to my CU anyway.

A different local CU- there is at least one that still has no fee checking. Of course the interest rate still sucks like all of them do now, but I can go to the branch if I need to. About the only time that happens is because I need lots of small bills when cruising. Also, they do still have a personal touch when it comes to lending decisions.

A "big" bank, like Cap1 or chase. I have a CC with cap1 and a chase card in the mail, so this would sort of make sense. Their interest rates are not quite as good as Ally, but they are the "big" banks. Maybe there is some safety there. There is still no local branch for either of these where I live.

Ally isn't an horrible choice for savings and checking they have pretty competitve rates for both. Thought you need to have decent amount to get .6% in your checking. I personally use alliant for my checking and savings needs. I get 1% savings and .65% for checking not the best in the world but I think its good enough for me. Also they will reimburse atm fees up to twenty bucks a month which is nice, even though i have never had to use that feature. They have access to an fair amount of "free" atms, something like 80,000 atm in us.

I also have an local CU that i park some money just in case. The local cu you would just have to look around in your town and see if you can find any that has no min balance or something like that.  

As far as big banks go like a chase boa wf, i don't really have use for them I do use them for their rewards CC but thats about it. 

On a side note i do have some 5 year cds with ally, but will probably be moving them to barclays since ally jusr nerfed their rates an lot. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 10
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

I have savings account at Ally, but I do my main banking with a mid-sized bank. I just about never go into the branch, but I'm glad I have the option when I need to - like to deposit cash after Christmas or something. That said, I still probably would have opened an account with Chase if they let me, but they wouldn't because the closest branch is 70 miles away. If it didn't take Ally so long to post deposits into the account, I would open a checking with them and try it out, but I'm too impatient for that. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 3 of 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can pick a different CU and still walk into yor local CU to do business with them. There's nothing special about banking with any of the largest banks.

Go here and research https://www.depositaccounts.com/checking/reward-checking-accounts.html . You're certain to find one that fits your needs. Just make sure it's CO-OP with your local CU. That way you still get the personal touch with better rates.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I guess that means I can't have a Chase account either. I didn't know they had that rule. All good information, especially that part about deposits taking so long. Thanks for that warning! Going to check the reward checking accts now.

Message 5 of 10
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Consider Alliant Credit Union. Good interest on savings, high interest checking, ATM fees reimbured upto $20/month. 

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Consider Alliant Credit Union. Good interest on savings, high interest checking, ATM fees reimbured upto $20/month. 

Very nice rates, and what an awesome way to grant membership. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Very nice rates, and what an awesome way to grant membership. Smiley Happy

They also have decent rates on 5 year cds if thats your thing, i believe its in 2% range. They are my main bank right now.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I can vouch for Alliant

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also been happy at Alliant.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.