tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which route to take?

@steelholder wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@steelholder wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would honestly check for BT offers among existing creditors before taking a personal loan. Personal loans not only make a new trade line but a good bit of them are designated as consumer finance companies (you risk this with any of them that aren't coming from a bank or CU especially) which is an added score penalty until they drop off your report. If you don't have BT offers, start checking with your existing creditors and see if they offer personal loans. For example Discover has a personal loan that starts at 6.9% and US Bank starts at 6.49%. Many CUs have great personal loan rates too. Sofi, Lending Club, etc should be your last resort. 

I am member of Alliant and Navy fed,  im not sure if I understood correctly but if I get a loan from them or any other company its a ding on my credit right? 

No you can get loans from Alliant and Navy because they're CUs. It's companies like SoFi, Lending Club, and Prosper that you want to avoid. 

How is a a loan from a CU different than another type of lender on a credit report?

If you get a loan and it's not from a bank or credit union, you run the risk of it being labeled a consumer finance account. It's a minor negative but it's a negative and costs points and it's extremely annoying knowing that I have at least 8 years to go before mine falls off my report from my Best Egg loan. Even some auto loans direct from the manufacturer get coded as CFAs. 

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 12 of 27
steelholder
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous 

If you get a loan and it's not from a bank or credit union, you run the risk of it being labeled a consumer finance account. It's a minor negative but it's a negative and costs points and it's extremely annoying knowing that I have at least 8 years to go before mine falls off my report from my Best Egg loan. Even some auto loans direct from the manufacturer get coded as CFAs. 

Thanks for this information what does it show up as when you get a loan from a CU or bank?

Message 13 of 27
steelholder
Regular Contributor

Alliant CU seems to have good rates but they use vantage 4.0 and I've heard those scores could be much lower than the fico 8, kind of worried about thay, Navyfed is anywhere between 6%-16%. Could someone explain how a loan from a CU or bank differs from a lender ok your credit report?

Message 14 of 27
RSX
Valued Contributor

on the report they both Look like a Loan - no issues there

but some of the lenders and car dealerships get flagged as a Consumer Finance Loan - it doesnt alway show on the account info

but in your 'Negatives' part of the report, it will say 'Too many Consumer Finance loans'

this is why most people have never heard of it, until it pops up

i am not sure how negative it is, but for sure avoid it if you can

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@steelholder wrote:

Alliant CU seems to have good rates but they use vantage 4.0 and I've heard those scores could be much lower than the fico 8, kind of worried about thay, Navyfed is anywhere between 6%-16%. Could someone explain how a loan from a CU or bank differs from a lender ok your credit report?

Alliant doesn't use Vantage for actual lending decisions. They use FICO 9 IIRC. 

The difference in reporting is, as RSX says, just in the FICO reason codes. It's infuriating because when you start optimizing scores, that's when it shows up. It's a little ding, somewhere around the value of 2 HPs worth of points, but it's a ding that sticks around until the account falls off your report. Take a 3 year loan, you're going to have that reason code at least 13 years. Smiley Frustrated

Message 16 of 27
steelholder
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@steelholder wrote:

The difference in reporting is, as RSX says, just in the FICO reason codes. It's infuriating because when you start optimizing scores, that's when it shows up. It's a little ding, somewhere around the value of 2 HPs worth of points, but it's a ding that sticks around until the account falls off your report. Take a 3 year loan, you're going to have that reason code at least 13 years. Smiley Frustrated

According to an alliant loan officer I spoke with today, they do,  started using it during the summer. There may be other threads on them pulling the 4.0 vantage.

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@steelholder wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@steelholder wrote:

According to an alliant loan officer I spoke with today, they do,  started using it during the summer. There may be other threads on them pulling the 4.0 vantage.

I do see other people saying they were told that they use Vantage but nobody has so far posted an approval or denial with a Vantage Score on it that I have seen. 

In my experience my VS4 tracks closely to my VS3 as long as my credit card utilization is low. It's very sensitive to balances as it uses trending data so if you have a higher balance than your average the score drops. 

My TU VS4 is at 787 right now while my TU VS3 is at 811. 

Message 18 of 27
steelholder
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@steelholder wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@steelholder wrote:

I do see other people saying they were told that they use Vantage but nobody has so far posted an approval or denial with a Vantage Score on it that I have seen. 

In my experience my VS4 tracks closely to my VS3 as long as my credit card utilization is low. It's very sensitive to balances as it uses trending data so if you have a higher balance than your average the score drops. 

My TU VS4 is at 787 right now while my TU VS3 is at 811. 

How can you check your own vantage 4.0?

Message 19 of 27
steelholder
Regular Contributor

Just want to confirm, if I get a loan from a CU, it will stay on my credit reports for 10 years after it is paid?

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.