Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

apple pay

tag
red259
Super Contributor

apple pay

I have an iphone and was looking at apple pay because it was mentioned when I was looking at my amex account. Does anyone use this? is it worth it? It does not seem like a big deal for me to just pull out my credit card and swipe, but maybe I am missing something. Is there another benefit to using it other than not having to carry the physical card?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: apple pay

I dont see the big time saver or convenience personally. Not a big deal to just swipe your card.

Also. Even if you switch, you still should carry the physical card for backup. Not nearly everyone takes apple pay.
Message 2 of 51
Bmac66
Frequent Contributor

Apple Pay doesn't use your real account number so there's no risk of somebody getting your card number. When you swipe there is always that risk. Applie pay is much more secure. 

Message 3 of 51
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

I use mine fairly often. I run across a lot of places in los angeles that accept contactless payment. Its been useful a few times where I've shopped at a place where I could earn a better bonus/reward with a card I didn't physically have on me but was in my passbook. I wish they allowed more than 8 cards, they need to expand that ASAP. 

Message 4 of 51
slicemans
Regular Contributor

It is more secure than mag strip cards. But the problem is not many stores in my area accept it.

Message 5 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would add all Amex cards you have to apple pay even if you don't plan on using them. The reason being Amex sends you instant push notifications even when you don't use apple pay to make the purchase. This is a good way to keep track of spending and monitor fraud. I wish other banks would implement this feature.

Message 6 of 51
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would add all Amex cards you have to apple pay even if you don't plan on using them. The reason being Amex sends you instant push notifications even when you don't use apple pay to make the purchase. This is a good way to keep track of spending and monitor fraud. I wish other banks would implement this feature.

Yea just noticed that. Does applepay only work with amex or is it just that amex is the only one who does the push notification?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 51
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yea just noticed that. Does applepay only work with amex or is it just that amex is the only one who does the push notification?

Apple Pay works with multiple banks as of now, e.g. Cap One, Chase, Barclays, US Bank etc. I believe Discover is not on it yet although they are supposed to be on this Fall.

The Push notification is also there with multiple cards e.g. Cap One and Chase but with AMEX I believe the unique factor is notification for non-Apple Pay charges as well. That way it's similar to Mint, except it refreshes immediately Smiley Very Happy 

Cap One is peculiar - they want you to install Cap One Wallet as well. 

I had Apple Pay on my last iPhone but then I got it water damaged; have been too lazy to set it up. My wallet has become too thick for me to handle it easily. Apple Pay helps.

And yes, 8 cards is far too LESS. Please expand it to 20 cards or more. Apple, you listening? (I did send this feedback in, dunno if ever anyone will listen. They make a ton of money anyway Smiley Sad ! )

Message 8 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is a list of all participating banks: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204916

Amex is the only one that does the notification as far as I can tell. 

Message 9 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ghoshida wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Apple Pay works with multiple banks as of now, e.g. Cap One, Chase, Barclays, US Bank etc. I believe Discover is not on it yet although they are supposed to be on this Fall.

The Push notification is also there with multiple cards e.g. Cap One and Chase but with AMEX I believe the unique factor is notification for non-Apple Pay charges as well. That way it's similar to Mint, except it refreshes immediately Smiley Very Happy 

Cap One is peculiar - they want you to install Cap One Wallet as well. 

I had Apple Pay on my last iPhone but then I got it water damaged; have been too lazy to set it up. My wallet has become too thick for me to handle it easily. Apple Pay helps.

And yes, 8 cards is far too LESS. Please expand it to 20 cards or more. Apple, you listening? (I did send this feedback in, dunno if ever anyone will listen. They make a ton of money anyway Smiley Sad ! )

Yes sorry if I wasn't clear. ALL cards send push notifications if you make the purchase will apple pay. Amex does it with all purchases made on the card period. 

Discover should be added in a few weeks when ios 9 comes out. I believe they will up the amount of cards allowed too with ios 9. 

Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.