Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bank account denial

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

bank account denial

Hmmm.

I was just denied a checking account by Citizens Bank.  Was responding to an email offer.  I had been a customer in New England for over a decade.  Accounts, mortgages, HELOC, and a credit card card which I still have.

I'm 3/12 for credit cards, but no truly new bank accounts for 3-4 years (tho' I did open a second checking account maybe 1.5 years ago with a bank I've done business with for 7+ years).

FICO 8's in the 798-829 range; no derogs. 

Any recommendations as to systems that I should check beyond the main bureaus? 

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: bank account denial

Aaaand ... the answer is:

I keep my bureaus in a state of deep freeze.

If I unfreeze CB's bureau of choice, CB will reprocess.

D'oh!!

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 2 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Not Saying A Word.jpg

I suppose you answered your own question 💀

Message 3 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

Hmmm.

I was just denied a checking account by Citizens Bank.  Was responding to an email offer.  I had been a customer in New England for over a decade.  Accounts, mortgages, HELOC, and a credit card card which I still have.

I'm 3/12 for credit cards, but no truly new bank accounts for 3-4 years (tho' I did open a second checking account maybe 1.5 years ago with a bank I've done business with for 7+ years).

Don't they have to give you an adverse action letter, which will spell out what they pulled? It was probably Chex Systems.  You need to find out what caused this.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 13
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Hmmm.

Don't they have to give you an adverse action letter, which will spell out what they pulled? It was probably Chex Systems.  You need to find out what caused this.

The phone rep advised me to unfreeze EQ.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 5 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Hmmm.

Seems odd that they would pull a credit report in connection with an application for a checking account.

Message 6 of 13
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Hmmm.

Seems odd that they would pull a credit report in connection with an application for a checking account.

Doesn't appear to have been a hard pull -- no ping from any card or bureau that a hard pull had occurred.  And the app form stated 'no impact to your credit score'.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 7 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@expatCanuck wrote:

Hmmm.

Doesn't appear to have been a hard pull -- no ping from any card or bureau that a hard pull had occurred.  And the app form stated 'no impact to your credit score'.

Maybe it's a soft pull they use for "identification" questions.

Message 8 of 13
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Unfortunate that the application process couldn't take into account the CB credit card that I've had for about a dozen years.

[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
Message 9 of 13
MarkintheHV
Frequent Contributor

I had the same thing happen with Bank of America while applying for checking and savings accounts.  Stumped me for awhile, then I realized all my reports were frozen.  I thawed them out, and applied again, and was approved for both.  I never went back to see what they pulled, but, whichever one it was, it was a soft.

What's in my wallet?
NFCU Flagship - 80k | AmEx Delta Reserve - $70k | Citi AA Executive - $37k | AmEx Delta Reserve Biz - 60k
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.