Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

25 Point Loss from Goodwill Request!!

tag
Twotimesacharm
Regular Contributor

25 Point Loss from Goodwill Request!!

I have written Comenity Bank on multiple occasions over the last 6 months regarding a goodwill removal of a charge off account (that I paid in full after charge off in 2018). I received the CEO email from someone on this site the other day and tried that. I got a call about a week or so later statingvI would be receiving a letter with their decision. A few days later, I received my denial letter. 

I woke up today with a TWENRY-FIVE point drop because Comenity has "flagged my account as a charge off". What does that mean? It's been sitting on my account as a charge off since 2018. I can't afford this drop, I was so close to 670. I am completely deflated. Screenshot_20210529-102115_Experian.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
creditguy86
Contributor

Re: 25 Point Loss from Goodwill Request!!

Yeah they just updated the account to make it look like a fresh chargeoff is the only thing I can think. 

Message 2 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Fico calculates from date of last reporting which is now that is why you lost the points.  If its a paid CO you could write to the CRAs demanding they enforce their own rules that an account is to stop updating when its in closed paid status and see if they will return the status date to 2018. This is a vindictive update and some banks do this on goodwill requests, its not right but at the same time its not illegal either.

Message 3 of 11
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@gdale6 wrote:

Fico calculates from date of last reporting which is now that is why you lost the points.  If its a paid CO you could write to the CRAs demanding they enforce their own rules that an account is to stop updating when its in closed paid status and see if they will return the status date to 2018. This is a vindictive update and some banks do this on goodwill requests, its not right but at the same time its not illegal either.

I agree with @gdale6  .Unfortunately that's the risk you take when trying to get something that's legit deleted. Sleazy yes it is. Sometimes GWs do work but other times they don't 😞 Yes contact the CRA should not appear "new" Sorry you have to now fight this 😡

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

^^^^^+100! Absolutely correct. If it's paid, that date of update should not have changed. They were dead wrong to do so. I agree with @gdale6 , make the CRAs enforce their own rules.

Message 5 of 11
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Twotimesacharm  this happened to me recently. Was having difficulty with an account's customer service  so I PIF & closed. They then reported my account as 30 days late and my scores tanked 46 points. I reached out to them and disputed in all the CRAs. Account rebounded 39 points for a loss of 7. Folks can be vindictive. The CEO made sure you not share his email address with anyone else now that you know the outcome. 

Message 6 of 11
Twotimesacharm
Regular Contributor

@GrandBay wrote:

@Twotimesacharm  this happened to me recently. Was having difficulty with an account's customer service  so I PIF & closed. They then reported my account as 30 days late and my scores tanked 46 points. I reached out to them and disputed in all the CRAs. Account rebounded 39 points for a loss of 7. Folks can be vindictive. The CEO made sure you not share his email address with anyone else now that you know the outcome. 

@GrandBay  What exactly did your letter say? I want to give myself the best chance at success �

Message 7 of 11
Twotimesacharm
Regular Contributor

I can't believe a company would do that. Five years with no late payments before I defaulted. In my letter, I explained how my house burned down and how we lost everything we had, and this is what they thought to do. I didn't even burn them, I paid them in full, even though they offered a settlement. 

Message 8 of 11
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Twotimesacharm  your best bet is to challenge the new reporting date but not request a deletion. The CRAs do not like PTD and Comenity does not owe anyone that service. I am also not sure why someone gave you the CEO's email address but going outside the proper channels is  not something I would recommend in the future and this may have been deliberate to prevent you from sharing his personal information in the future. If you were met with much success, you may have passed his information onto the next person to have a similar issue. Contest whats true - the reporting date and move on.

Message 9 of 11
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

This really strikes me as tack on their part. Yes, you may have gone outside the normal channels of communication, but you also went through a horrible experience and paid your balance in full. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.