Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 year old Medical Bills

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5 year old Medical Bills

Hi. I am very new here. My aunt referred me to the forums last night. I am having an issue with old medical debt. 

Last night, FBCS called telling me I had 2 past due doctor bills from 2 different emergency room bills from the summer of 2009. If It is real, it has been 5 years, that is a long time to come back for something like this. I called back today asking for all the information. They could not give me actual phone numbers or addresses. I googled the doctors and only one of them even came up. I called the billing department. They told me the exact dates and what these things were for. I still don't remember this happening.

My mother was in a very bad car accident that same summer so everything is very cloudy around that time. 

I know that I visited the emergency room once since graduating high school in 2007 but I don't think it was that year. I do know that I wasn't in college when I went to the emergency room and in that time if you weren't in school, you weren't able to be on your parent's insurance. I do remember that the lady that I spoke to in billing , the day of my visit, told me that the visit was paid for my public assitance because I was in no way able to pay for it. 

So, even if I actually went to the emergency room, it is not a legitimate thing. 

When I spoke to the lady from the actual doctor's office, she told me that they had my mother's phone number and the address I lived at for about 3 years. 4 years ago. She said that the office called multiple times and sent letters but they never heard back. 

I am not sure what I am supposed to do. Because IF they are legitimate, I wasn't supposed to be billed.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 5 year old Medical Bills

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi. I am very new here. My aunt referred me to the forums last night. I am having an issue with old medical debt. 

Last night, FBCS called telling me I had 2 past due doctor bills from 2 different emergency room bills from the summer of 2009. If It is real, it has been 5 years, that is a long time to come back for something like this. I called back today asking for all the information. They could not give me actual phone numbers or addresses. I googled the doctors and only one of them even came up. I called the billing department. They told me the exact dates and what these things were for. I still don't remember this happening.

My mother was in a very bad car accident that same summer so everything is very cloudy around that time. 

I know that I visited the emergency room once since graduating high school in 2007 but I don't think it was that year. I do know that I wasn't in college when I went to the emergency room and in that time if you weren't in school, you weren't able to be on your parent's insurance. I do remember that the lady that I spoke to in billing , the day of my visit, told me that the visit was paid for my public assitance because I was in no way able to pay for it. 

So, even if I actually went to the emergency room, it is not a legitimate thing. 

When I spoke to the lady from the actual doctor's office, she told me that they had my mother's phone number and the address I lived at for about 3 years. 4 years ago. She said that the office called multiple times and sent letters but they never heard back. 

I am not sure what I am supposed to do. Because IF they are legitimate, I wasn't supposed to be billed.

Thanks!

The way to handle legit medical collections is to use the HIPAA Process you can Google it we cant discuss it on this board. If you do not owe this and you were told it was billed to indigent funds assistance or other forms of assistance just file a CFPB complaint on the CA & the OC. FYI collectors can come calling for a lifetime there are statutes of limitations (SOL) in every state that gives creditors x amount of time to use the court system to get a judgment after that if you put forth the SOL as defense it will be dismissed with prejudice. Welcome to MF Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
LifeSAVERS
Regular Contributor

Re: 5 year old Medical Bills

According to Google search of FBCS - they are a third party collection company.  They hang up on individuals that challenge their right to collect. Be careful when dealing with these types of collection companies.  Have you received anything in writing from them, or just a telephone call?  Have you pulled any of your credit reports to see if they are listed, or the debt is on any of your reports?  You need to have the CR (credit report) information in front of you with Original creditor, DOFD, date opened, amount, etc.  Also who is the CA on the report which will also show their address and typically their telephone number.  Once you know the OC (original creditor), you can call them and ask if they show any outstanding debt from you or if they have sent you to a collection agency and who that was.

Just be careful, and typically do not talk to these collection companies, without the information/detail in hand.  They will get pushy and aggressive, which can get you to pay for something out of fear that is not yours to pay.

Best of Luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.