cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A respond fr CA. Acct was not mine. Please help me.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A respond fr CA. Acct was not mine. Please help me.

I send a DV to CA, date May 9. CA respond date June 8. with the last bill fr T Mobil Due date 2/13/2004 Amount $567.74 Phone #, Address. None of them belong to me. I never have T Mobil services in my life. Just a short quotes in respond: “…in accordance with 15 USC 1692c(c) we are acknowledging your request to cease communication with you regarding this debt. Per your request, we have validated the acct with the original creditor, including acct, and balance due….Consumer have the right to inspect their credit” In my DV letter I was asking for many documents to proof the acct belong to me, but they only send a copy of last statement. I was send another DV to a different CA about This T mobil acct 6 months ago. That CA did not respond at all and sell this acct to this CA (Afni inc.) Please help me what should I do next with all your experiences, inputs on how to deal with this CA. Thanks again.
Message Edited by MoonLight on 06-15-2009 06:25 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A respond fr CA. Acct was not mine. Please help me.

This "last statement"

~is it addressed to you?

~does it have any of your old address on it?

~is it possible a family member opened this account in your name?

This may be an identity theft issue.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not my address and not my old address either. I don't think my ralative using my name or T mobil phone services. This is identity theft issue. Then how do I tell them that. I think CA don't care. CA just want our money. CA needs to show my signature in the application etc. . . right in order to claim that is my debt.
Please Please tell me what should I do now.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't find a thread just on this issue (in the couple of minutes I had to search), but I did find one where sidewinder (one of the moderators) explained the process.  Sidewinder's answer is the last post in this thread (#16).

Basically you go to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission), fill out an ID affidavit, and then go to your local police station and fill out a police report.  Then you send the paperwork to the creditors.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&message.id=58273&query.id=...

Good luck!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you say I have to go to police station to make a report? CA not report yet in my CRs's. Can I send them back a letter to ask for the proof that my signature was on the application and tell them I never live in that address or have that phone #. Since CA gave that info on the last bill. Please help me with your inputs. Thanks
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

phone bills are only 2 years for the SOL,if I am not mistaken.  however they can report for 7-7.5 years. It is a federal regulation
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you can send whatever letter you want to the CA to advise them that this is not your account, and requesting that they not report the account to the CRAs.

But you will have better luck if you follow the FTC affidavit process, and submit that paperwork to the CA.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the copy of the last statement even have your name on it?

It is possible that the CA has you confused with another Jane Doe and don't have a SS#, so just sticking it with you.

IMO, call T-Mobile and explain the situation. I wouldn't say anything about ID theft or fraud to them, as they sometimes will not tell you anything once you do that.

I would just call them up and explain, nicely and calmly, that you got a letter from a collection agency trying to collect on a debt where they were the original creditor. The first letter came about 6 months ago and you requested more information and that collection agency didn't respond. Now you have gotten another letter from another collection agency and when you requested more information they sent you a copy of a statement from 2004. The name on the statement is the same as yours, but you've never had T-Mobile service and do not recognize the address or phone number listed.

One of the main purposes of the DV process is to determine if you have been misidentified by the CA or someone has actually opened an account with the OC under your name.

It appears that it could be either, as the DV didn't answer that question. The CA for sure has your name, but that is it. So, it is possible that either could still be the situation. Next step is to move on to the OC to try to determine this.

I wouldn't file any police report/ID affidavit until you determine which it is for sure.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase's IHG Clarified

Hey Mod, you commented on a 9 year old post that you were moving  different post Smiley Happy .

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.