Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agency License Inactive

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agency License Inactive

There is a collections agency reporting an account which was opened and went delinquent in Minnesota where I also currently live. Minnesota law requires an agency be licensed in order to collect. This agency is no longer licensed in this state, but has not sent (or I have not received) a dunning letter, or any form of communication. However, when I called a few months ago they insisted a letter went out to my current address. Up to this point they've only reported the debt.  I've looked around the forums and Google, and I understand that this would not fall under an FDCPA violation and would not require an FTC complaint. However, should I file a complaint with the BBB and the AG requesting the account be removed? Has anyone had success with this? Or should I confront the agency and let them know of my intentions to file a complaint if they do not remove the account?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Did you file a complaint with the BBB or the AG?

Did you file a complaint with the BBB or the AG?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did you file a complaint with the BBB or the AG?

Not as of yet. Wasn't sure if I should send a PFD with my concern about them not being licensed and resolve it that way, give them an easy out... or if I should file a complaint first instead. What's the best option?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

File a compliant against them

Message 4 of 11
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I agree - file a complaint.  Let it be officially noted that they are operating outside the law.

Message 5 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Agency License Inactive

If they never sent dunning notice, that is a violation since they have reported to a CRA.

I would use that as the formal FDCPA violation in a CFPB complaint, and also include the fact that their reporting was also barred by your state licensing provision.

That way, your complaint will clearly have basis for violatlion of the FDCPA.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would that fall under "Did not receive notice of rights to dispute" when filing out the complaint? 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've submitted my complaint and hope to here back from them soon. I'll keep updating as the process moves along.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

**UPDATE** 

I submitted the CFPB complaint on 10/25. The status is now "Company response past due". The trade line is still on all three credit reports.

Message 9 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You still have an unresolved dispute.

You need a formal decision from the CFPB before holding of a finding of violation on their part.

Unless they forward to the FTC for civil action, you may not get a final, binding order.

You can always initiate your own civil action apart from reliance on an administrative decision by the CFPB.

Licensing is a state, not federal, requirement.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.