Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Optima Oasis

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Optima Oasis

Question for you guys. Like 13 years ago my parents opened an AmEx Gold card and a Blue Cash card in my name and burned them for like $2,000 between the two. Why they even gave these cards to an 18 year old with no credit is beyond me. A few years ago, maybe longer, I remember getting a letter in the mail stating that if I paid off that balance they would send me a new card called the Optima Oasis card.

Flash forward to today. I have a bankruptcy that discharged about a year ago and I'm rebuilding. All my scores are now in the 601-614 range. I have 1 secured card with Citi and 1 with Navy Fed. Rather than going out and dropping money on getting a third secured card, I'm thinking about squaring up with AmEx if the offer is still on the table. Any thoughts on this? Will my BK prevent them from honoring the agreement? I can't find much on this program online other than it is legit and that I just have to keep calling them until I get to someone who knows what I'm talking about.

Also, I saw in a sticky thread there is a number for AmEx Oasis that doesn't work anymore. Would anyone happen to have a new number?
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex Optima Oasis

Amex will not take applications from you until 5 years and 1 month after your BK. I suggest you pay them in full so that you're ready when that time comes. If you settle or leave a balance, you could be blacklisted for 10+ years. 

Message 2 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Also, the Oasis card is not a way around the 5 year rule.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it. My parents burned the AmEx cards they took out in my name about 10-12 years ago. The debt is really old. It came off my credit report a long time ago.

Thanks for the info on AmEx not taking me back due to the BK. I will pay them, because eventually I'd like back in with them. But it can take a back seat for now.
Message 4 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I saw in a sticky thread there is a number for AmEx Oasis that doesn't work anymore. Would anyone happen to have a new number?

Thanks for the heads-up, @Anonymous... I'll update the sticky thread.

Hopefully someone will come along with a working number. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Hopefully they will give you an invitation again after 5yrs and 1 month.. Not everyone gets that second chance. Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Message 7 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

They won't entertain the idea of the Oasis card now with the BK on your reports. Their BK policy is 5 yrs plus 1 mo post DC to be able to apply again, even if they are paid back in full.
Message 8 of 9
mich800
Regular Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
They won't entertain the idea of the Oasis card now with the BK on your reports. Their BK policy is 5 yrs plus 1 mo post DC to be able to apply again, even if they are paid back in full.

5 years post discharge?  So if a chp 13 only after the BK is completly off your report?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.