Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any convergent advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any convergent advice?

I want to apply for a mortgage loan in the next year and I'd like to have a clean credit report.

I have 1 negative mark and it's a collection of $370. It indicates Convergent Outsourcing but the original creditor is TMobile. The DOFD is from September 2016. I know this from memory and also pulling my free annual credit reports verified it. Reports to EX and EQ, but not TU. However, all the credit score trackers I use keep claiming it is new debt, and that it's currently 10 months old. Is this even legal?!

Here are my questions:

Should I even bother paying the debt? I've seen information where paying might actually hurt my score. And will a mortgage lender care about one derogatory mark? The rest of my accounts are in good standing. I have 7 credit cards and have always paid on time. Although I would like to up my middle mortgage score which is currently sitting at 646.

If I pay, should I contact Tmobile directly? I'm getting mixed signals on if I try to pay, WHO I should be paying. Would I first promise Tmobile I will pay only if they recall with the collection agency? And how will I know they actually recall it so that I can then pay tmobile? Do I ask for recall and removal or is removal implied?

I just really want to be smart about the interactions and hoping for some kind of breakdown on how I should play this.

And juts as a PS, I recently started new service with Tmobile all these years later. Will calling them about my 2016 account interfere with my new contract with them?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Re: Any convergent advice?

@Anonymous Here you will find threads on GW Success with Convergent:

1)

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Convergent-GW/m-p/6057281 

2)

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-Convergent-Success/m-p/4875666 

3)

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Update-SUCCESS-Email-format-for-Convergent-Outsourcing/m-p/5982916 

Good luck!

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 2 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

All mortgage companies want all past due debts PIF. Nothing lingering. DTI is the main engine for approval or not.

Message 3 of 5
mycreditscoreisfair
Frequent Contributor

You have two options:

1. You could see if T-mobile can/will accept the payment, and have them recall the debt from the collection agency. They may be able/willing to do this assuming they still own the debt and their arrangement with the collection doesn't prohibit it. In this scenario, the collection agency would no longer have reason/authority to collect the debt and would remove their tradeline.

2. You could try to arrange a pay for delete with Convergent. They may or may not be willing to do this; I've seen mixed reviews. If they do, it will be deleted after payment is made, generally within 60 days. If they don't, then you'll probably still have to pay it in order to obtain a mortgage. Most lenders won't lend with potentially liabilities like this out there. But you probably won't see any/much score improvement until it falls off your reports.

To answer a few of your other questions.

Credit monitoring services showing it at 10 months old is plausible - and likely not illegal. As long as the collection agency has collection authority, they can add or remove the tradeline from your reports whenever they want. I'm assuming what your referring to is when the collection was added to your report.

Most traditional mortgage lenders will require the debt to be taken care of. But you should ask your lender.

If T-Mobile agrees to recall the collection, they likely won't do so until you make the payment. They may or may not be willing to put that arrangement in writing. If not, you'll have to trust them. You could record the conversation, but stay within the laws of your jurisdiction when it comes to recording people. Nothing is implied, be very specific with what you're asking/offering.

Starting score (January 2020): 454 (TU)
First goal (December 2020): 580 (TU)
Second goal (August 2021): 670 (TU)
Current scores: 679 (TU), 665 (EQ), 658 (EX)
Current goal: All three bureaus over 670

Declined credit cards: First Premier Bank, Verve, Self, Credit One, Today Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really appreciate the options and advice.

What would you believe the smarter option to be? Contacting Tmobile (assuming they still have claim on it) or the CA? 

Even if neither agrees to remove it from the report, and I pay it in full; is that still a major red flag for the lender?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.