Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user question

Ok I'm thinking about adding myself to my dads credit card as an authorized user. But I know he's had a late payment or 2 in the past so I was wondering if that would affect me even though it was in the past?

Before anyone says be careful being an authorized user on anyone's account, long story short my dad can't read nor right so he's always had to rely on someone else. He just moved from another state to live with me and I'm now taking care of his finances so I know payments will be on time from here on out.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user question

If it's a card that reports past history of the card then yes it'll affect you. However, if the card is old enough and the UTI is low then that can outweigh the lates
Message 2 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

You can do it, but you will have to weigh out the good vs bad and decide if his overall profile will help you by being added.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 6
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok I'm thinking about adding myself to my dads credit card as an authorized user. But I know he's had a late payment or 2 in the past so I was wondering if that would affect me even though it was in the past?

Before anyone says be careful being an authorized user on anyone's account, long story short my dad can't read nor right so he's always had to rely on someone else. He just moved from another state to live with me and I'm now taking care of his finances so I know payments will be on time from here on out.

What I would do is call the credit card company and see what can be done to remove the lates from the accounts if the card is caught up with payments.  Then become the authorized user.  You won't get any answers if you don't ask the company how their policy works.

I wish you the best of luck with this and happy your dad decided to live with you.  My mom is in Texas with my brother, I miss her a lot!

Starting all over again!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks guys, I didn't know if it would only report future transactions on my report. If it's going to report past lates before I was a user then it's not worth it to me. I have zero negatives on my report and want to keep it that way.

For the record the card company is Capital One.
Message 5 of 6
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok thanks guys, I didn't know if it would only report future transactions on my report. If it's going to report past lates before I was a user then it's not worth it to me. I have zero negatives on my report and want to keep it that way.

For the record the card company is Capital One.

Call them and see what they can do to help you.

Starting all over again!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.