cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays refusing to settle on charged off debt

tag
junooon

Barclays refusing to settle on charged off debt

I have a card from Barclays that is 5 years old and is CO'd with about 1.7k owed. After calling Barclays, I have confirmed that they are still owners of the debt and it has not been sent to any CA. During the call, I had asked about settling the debt to which the rep said it is not possible as they do not see any option for my account. Is this normal of barclays? Are they just planning on holding onto the debt even though NY SOL has passed?

This is the last bad remark on my report and I'm trying to get it fixed as soon as possible. As a NY Resident I believe I can use the purge law once I have it paid but it is frustrating that they aren't willing to budge. Any advice on how to proceed with this matter? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclays refusing to settle on charged off debt

"Any advice on how to proceed with this matter? "

Pay it off or wait it out.  There isn't a magical solution to this or a legal way to force them to settle.  Given the current economic climate wavering on the brink of potential disaster along with consumer default in the billions many creditors are going to take a hard line stance against settling.  Once Barclays looked at your reports and saw you doing clean up they knew you would want this gone too which shifts leverage to their side. (and yes, they do know when consumers are doing credit repair)  Their last arrow in their quiver of weapons is to keep reporting until the bitter end unless you pay in full.

Message 2 of 5
GZG
Valued Contributor

@junooon wrote:

I have a card from Barclays that is 5 years old and is CO'd with about 1.7k owed. After calling Barclays, I have confirmed that they are still owners of the debt and it has not been sent to any CA. During the call, I had asked about settling the debt to which the rep said it is not possible as they do not see any option for my account. Is this normal of barclays? Are they just planning on holding onto the debt even though NY SOL has passed?

This is the last bad remark on my report and I'm trying to get it fixed as soon as possible. As a NY Resident I believe I can use the purge law once I have it paid but it is frustrating that they aren't willing to budge. Any advice on how to proceed with this matter? Thanks

can't force them to settle

you might be able to speak to somebody with autonomy, ask for somebody with authority/supervisor

instead of somebody just looking at a box on a computer screen, seeing no 'offers' and telling you there's nothing they can do

but honestly, it's $1700 and you live in NY, work some more hours, spend less and knock this out and have a nice clean credit profile again 

Starting FICO 8:
Current FICO 8:

2/6, 3/12, 11/24
Message 3 of 5
junooon

@GZG wrote:

@junooon wrote:

can't force them to settle

you might be able to speak to somebody with autonomy, ask for somebody with authority/supervisor

instead of somebody just looking at a box on a computer screen, seeing no 'offers' and telling you there's nothing they can do

but honestly, it's $1700 and you live in NY, work some more hours, spend less and knock this out and have a nice clean credit profile again 

I'm willing to pay in full but seems like the CSR was just going off what they saw on their screen as soon as I said "settlement" Just called again though and was told to hear back in 7-14 days about options. Fingers crossed I can get this taken care of ASAP

Message 4 of 5
GZG
Valued Contributor

@junooon wrote:

@GZG wrote:

@junooon wrote:

I'm willing to pay in full but seems like the CSR was just going off what they saw on their screen as soon as I said "settlement" Just called again though and was told to hear back in 7-14 days about options. Fingers crossed I can get this taken care of ASAP

yeah I'm not personally waiting 7-14 days to get a callback that may or may not ever come

call back, ask for a settlement offer to settle in full today, if they tell you no, ask to be escalated to a supervisor or a manager

Starting FICO 8:
Current FICO 8:

2/6, 3/12, 11/24
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.