Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Score Experts--I Have 2 Options In Mind

tag
ItsCASHual
Regular Contributor

Calling Score Experts--I Have 2 Options In Mind

I'm wondering what would increase my FICO score the most with the next monthly reporting/update in early May....

Option 1--Pay off both of my only 2 charge off credit cards I have. One hasn't reported/updated since 12/2017 (reported 171% UTI OUCH). The other one reports /updates monthly (reporting 143% UTI). Both are on all 3 credit bureau reports.

Option 2--Pay down my daily revolver NFCU credit card to 20% UTI. It is currently at 65% UTI. Card is 6 months old and always paid at least 3 times the monthly minimum payment each month. Never late. 100% on time reporting. Reports to all 3 credit bureaus.

FICO 8

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Calling Score Experts--I Have 2 Options In Mind

If you are expecting an update/jump for next month getting the NFCU card under 30% will have a more 'instant' jump but paying off the Charge/Off and getting them removed I think will get you a higher result, BUT sometimes that doesn't report right away if it can be removed.   Ymmv but my 2 cents Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
ItsCASHual
Regular Contributor

To Clarify:

I'm not needing a score bump for an upcoming purchase, new app or anything. Just looking for the best solution in continued rebuilding efforts to increase scores for the long haul (but also like the instant boost that comes with the options I listed).

FICO 8

Message 3 of 6
RSX
Valued Contributor

in that Case go with Option 1

with your 3x min payments, the CC will come down in Util month over month, and you will likely see points at each threshold

but if you have the $ to get rid of those Charge Offs, that is best for you near term and long term scoring

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 6
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Removing CO will get you the best results, but it's always a good rule of thumb to be under 30% on your card too that will show a boost as well.  Smiley Happy   Higher boost will likely be from Removing the CO though (sometimes can take 1-3 months to get removed)

Message 5 of 6
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind Paying it off and Removing it though are two different things it can still report as Paid or Satisfactory etc but still report.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.