cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One & AMEX Settlement Advice

tag
beeaboutmoney

Capital One & AMEX Settlement Advice

Hey guys this is my first post but I have learned a lot from the forum and have been watching my scores gradually increase as a result. Back in 2002 when I had just turned 18 I managed to max out 2 credit cards, one with Cap 1 and one with AMEX. The Cap1 originally had a limit of $1500 but has swollen to $3900 balance due to fees and interest and such. The AMEX had a limit of 2000 with a balance of around $3800. Cap1 sued me in 2007 but didn't show to court and the case was dismissed. They still try to correspond with me but I mostly ignore it since it is due to drop off in July of this year. AMEX has actively tried to get me to settle for around $3000 which is fine I just don't have the funds to PIF at the moment they are scheduled to fall off in July as well. My question is should I call AMEX and see about a payment plan or just wait until I am able to pay in full, which is probably about 18 months. I really want to get back in good standing with them because my aunt made an authorized user back in 1988 and it shows that I have had credit with them since then obliviously making it my oldest account. Also should I just let the Cap1 fall off and forget about it since it has been doing so much damage for the last 7 years. Funny enough they approved my auto loan @ an astronomical 24% which I am waiting on their card to fall off to see about a refi. I appreciate any advice I maybe given and appreciate all of the helpful information provided on the forums.

Thanks

06/02/2009 EQ(623), TU(582). EX(?)

05/09/2009 EQ(589), TU(?), EX(?) 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One & AMEX Settlement Advice

If you are in CA then your SOL is 4 years from DOFD.  Any payment may restart your SOL.  I would wait until they fall off.  Always keep hard copies of all 3 CRAs so that a zombie CA doesn't start reporting way down the road.           

All baddies drop approx 7 years from DOFD.  Better gone

If you want to pay either   wait until they drop and then pay. I would not make payment arrangments as they might start reporting this as a new account which may hurt!

You will see an increase in scores when these drop!

Message 2 of 3
beeaboutmoney

Re: Capital One & AMEX Settlement Advice

Thanks,

Thats in line with what I was thinking already. Im in GA so SOL is 4 years as well I think. I did open the cards in FL though, does that matter?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.