Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapitalOne Secured -> Unsecured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CapitalOne Secured -> Unsecured

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations! I've had a Cap One secured MC for just about 15 months now and my status on that card has been pretty much unchanged since I got my $300 CLI in June of last year, upping my line to $951 (I put in a $500 security deposit); I got an unsecured MC with a $3,000 line last month so I don't know how that would affect prospects of the secured card being graduated. I've actually started thinking about the possibility, after paying it down, of closing the secured card out and getting my deposit back if I get either the Visa or Amex I'm considering in the fall - of course, if Cap One does graduate me before then, that'd alter the case rather a bit!

It looks like the graduations have only been on cards that were opened in January or February 2016 and forward so far.

Hopefully they backdate it further as time passes!

Message 11 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations! I've had a Cap One secured MC for just about 15 months now and my status on that card has been pretty much unchanged since I got my $300 CLI in June of last year, upping my line to $951 (I put in a $500 security deposit); I got an unsecured MC with a $3,000 line last month so I don't know how that would affect prospects of the secured card being graduated. I've actually started thinking about the possibility, after paying it down, of closing the secured card out and getting my deposit back if I get either the Visa or Amex I'm considering in the fall - of course, if Cap One does graduate me before then, that'd alter the case rather a bit!

It looks like the graduations have only been on cards that were opened in January or February 2016 and forward so far.

That's the interesting thing - I applied and was approved for the card on, IIRC, 12/28/2015; the card was actually activated on 1/6/16 (I found the exact date yesterday while checking EQ). Seems like it's right on the border for the earliest date graduation will be approved - I wonder if they just haven't gotten around to me yet?

Message 12 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's the interesting thing - I applied and was approved for the card on, IIRC, 12/28/2015; the card was actually activated on 1/6/16 (I found the exact date yesterday while checking EQ). Seems like it's right on the border for the earliest date graduation will be approved - I wonder if they just haven't gotten around to me yet?

The earliest report I found was in November of 2016, then they started to trickle in in January of 2017, and the floodgates appeared to have opened in February of 2017. When did your 10th statement cut? October of 2016?  

The one thing I believe we all have in common is that it was after the 11th statement cut. The new offer of the secured card states only a stipulation of on-time payments, not a review of your credit history. If anyone knows of anything different than what I've found, please share!

Message 13 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The earliest report I found was in November of 2016, then they started to trickle in in January of 2017, and the floodgates appeared to have opened in February of 2017. When did your 10th statement cut? October of 2016?  

The one thing I believe we all have in common is that it was after the 11th statement cut. The new offer of the secured card states only a stipulation of on-time payments, not a review of your credit history. If anyone knows of anything different than what I've found, please share!

Hmmmm....I didn't use my secured MC for a few weeks after I received it, until I replaced my ancient DVD recorder/VCR combo at Best Buy (yes, they still make those - mine is a Toshiba) at the end of January, so let me look my account up...

OK, my first statement was dated February 20, 2016, so the 10th statement would have been November 20, 2016. I'm up to statement #14 now (March 20, 2017), and needless to say, all payments have been on-time. Is there any data on how long it takes after the 10th statement is issued for graduation to be activated?  Also, FWIW, I checked to see when my $300 CLI kicked in, and it took effect with the 6/20/2016 statement, so 90-120 days after the first statement?

Message 14 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmmmm....I didn't use my secured MC for a few weeks after I received it, until I replaced my ancient DVD recorder/VCR combo at Best Buy (yes, they still make those - mine is a Toshiba) at the end of January, so let me look my account up...

OK, my first statement was dated February 20, 2016, so the 10th statement would have been November 20, 2016. I'm up to statement #14 now (March 20, 2017), and needless to say, all payments have been on-time. Is there any data on how long it takes after the 10th statement is issued for graduation to be activated?  Also, FWIW, I checked to see when my $300 CLI kicked in, and it took effect with the 6/20/2016 statement, so 90-120 days after the first statement?

That was a typo - 11th statement cut.

The CLI is after 5th statement cut.

Mine graduated less than a week following the 11th statement cut, and it was immediate after I received the email.

I'm guessing that the reason there are so few reports back then is that it wasn't a certain point that everyone got it. Bad luck. Smiley Sad

We can hope that they start graduating cards past the 11th statement mark, though. If we start to see reports of that, you have some hope!

Message 15 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine graduated less than a week following the 11th statement cut, and it was immediate after I received the email.

I'm guessing that the reason there are so few reports back then is that it wasn't a certain point that everyone got it. Bad luck. Smiley Sad

We can hope that they start graduating cards past the 11th statement mark, though. If we start to see reports of that, you have some hope!

Yes, my CLI took effect with the 5th statement (June 20), the 4th statement still had the original loan figure on it and IIRC I was notified of the CLI via email between the 4th and 5th statements. The 11th statement for me would be December 20, 2016.

I'll give it some more time - right now my overall plan is to grow my payment history/shrink my overall utilization rate between now and September; if this card hasn't been graduated by September then I'll start thinking about paying it off and closing it to get my deposit back, or see if it can be consolidated with the unsecured MC (which is supposed to have an automatic CLI in September anyway).

Message 16 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, my CLI took effect with the 5th statement (June 20), the 4th statement still had the original loan figure on it and IIRC I was notified of the CLI via email between the 4th and 5th statements. The 11th statement for me would be December 20, 2016.

I'll give it some more time - right now my overall plan is to grow my payment history/shrink my overall utilization rate between now and September; if this card hasn't been graduated by September then I'll start thinking about paying it off and closing it to get my deposit back, or see if it can be consolidated with the unsecured MC (which is supposed to have an automatic CLI in September anyway).

It cannot be consolidated if it is still a secured card.

Message 17 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats lowkey! great job on your rebuild!

Thanks for the data point!. My 11th statement is due day after so I'm excited to find out what happens.

Where did you find your info about the automatic conversion though? I can't seem to find much here but maybe I'm ust using the wrong search terms.

Message 18 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

congrats lowkey! great job on your rebuild!

Thanks for the data point!. My 11th statement is due day after so I'm excited to find out what happens.

Where did you find your info about the automatic conversion though? I can't seem to find much here but maybe I'm ust using the wrong search terms.

Don't have any real info other than just reading others' experiences along the way. 

During the last month and a half or so the reports have come in at a much faster rate that they are graduated, while in November/December/January the reports were much more rare.

Message 19 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks...that's nice to know...my 11th statement was just emailed to me a few mins back...hate that I have to wait a week or two..lol!

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.