Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge Off Mistake

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charge Off Mistake

Hello all -

I’m just looking for some advice, although I have a feeling that there isn’t much that can be done and I’m grasping at straws. My husband and I were planning to buy a house this Spring. Long story short, I decided to clean up his credit a bit before we applied and now I’m really wishing I had just left things alone.

He currently has only one negative item on his report: a loan charge-off from NFCU. He had a balance that he still owed of around $1800. This was from five years ago and will drop off Summer 2022.

Otherwise, he has a credit card that was closed but in good standing that we also paid down to $0. Previous balance was $87. So now it’s a closed NFCU credit card with 0 balance and no lates.

I’ve added him as an AU on two of my high-limit credit cards (Discover and AmEx) because I have no lates and they’ve been opened for about 4 years. Overall utilization is about 5%.

Everything else he has is closed: two personal loans, two credit cards all with 0 balances and all with no lates.

His file is pretty thin, so we added a small personal loan (only showing on one report) and a low credit limit credit card (not showing on any reports).

Here’s the issue: we paid the charge-off because we thought it might help only because it was reporting as a CO every month. We also wanted to pay the money just because it was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, that has resulted in his credit absolutely tanking. So far, he’s lost 41 points on Experian (now 619) and 56 points on TU (now 596). Equifax hasn’t updated yet.

So, I get that this might be better for us in the long run. But in the short run, this really, really sucks and means that we might lose out on the house we had our eye on. Is there ANYTHING that anyone can think of that might help us to recover a bunch of points fairly quickly? Maybe REMOVE him as an AU so he’s rebucketed??? I’ll try anything. Or are we just out of luck at this point? I’m assuming it’s going to take many months or more than a year for this to recover to any meaningful degree, but I hope I’m wrong. I'm just wondering if we can speed up this process somehow. 

9 REPLIES 9
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Charge Off Mistake

Hi and welcome to the forums!!

I first want to confirm you are viewing FICO scores and not another scoring model like Vantage 3 (Credit Karma)?

A chunk of that score drop seems to be due to no revolving credit usage (as the primary account holder - AUs are a different metric) since you paid all revolving balances to zero (even charge off balances and closed cc balances count). 

I don't think removing him as an AU will help, but when his secured card reports, he should gain points for having an open revolver. Let it report with a balance and he'll also gain points for having revolving usage.  One of the two AU accounts also needs to report a balance so he doesn't get penalized for all AUs at zero. 

You did the right thing paying off the charge-off- now that it will no longer update monthly, the derog will be allowed to age and his scores will be able to recover.  See where he stands when the secured card reports.  Make sure each month his secured card and one of the AUs report small balances.  As his new accounts and the paid derogatory ages, his scores will tick up. My guess is, after the initial boost from his secured card reporting, the next noticeable increase may be when the card ages to 3 months. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 10
mycreditscoreisfair
Frequent Contributor

+1 to what @thornback said.

Paying the charge-off was a good decision. And could have even been required by the mortgage company, as many don't like to lend when there are delinquent debts floating around out there. But you're playing with fire making so many changes to his credit file so close to trying to obtain a mortgage. The general rule of thumb is to not acquire any new credit within a year of obtaining a mortgage (although, some people have more room for error than others). My advice is to resist the urge to make even more changes to his credit and allow the score to find a landing spot once everything settles.

Starting score (January 2020): 454 (TU)
First goal (December 2020): 580 (TU)
Second goal (August 2021): 670 (TU)
Current scores: 679 (TU), 665 (EQ), 658 (EX)
Current goal: All three bureaus over 670

Declined credit cards: First Premier Bank, Verve, Self, Credit One, Today Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

@mycreditscoreisfair wrote:

+1 to what @thornback said.

Paying the charge-off was a good decision. And could have even been required by the mortgage company, as many don't like to lend when there are delinquent debts floating around out there. But you're playing with fire making so many changes to his credit file so close to trying to obtain a mortgage. The general rule of thumb is to not acquire any new credit within a year of obtaining a mortgage (although, some people have more room for error than others). My advice is to resist the urge to make even more changes to his credit and allow the score to find a landing spot once everything settles.

+1 Glad you mentioned this, @mycreditscoreisfair 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Hi and welcome to the forums!!

I first want to confirm you are viewing FICO scores and not another scoring model like Vantage 3 (Credit Karma)?

A chunk of that score drop seems to be due to no revolving credit usage (as the primary account holder - AUs are a different metric) since you paid all revolving balances to zero (even charge off balances and closed cc balances count). 

I don't think removing him as an AU will help, but when his secured card reports, he should gain points for having an open revolver. Let it report with a balance and he'll also gain points for having revolving usage.  One of the two AU accounts also needs to report a balance so he doesn't get penalized for all AUs at zero. 

You did the right thing paying off the charge-off- now that it will no longer update monthly, the derog will be allowed to age and his scores will be able to recover.  See where he stands when the secured card reports.  Make sure each month his secured card and one of the AUs report small balances.  As his new accounts and the paid derogatory ages, his scores will tick up. My guess is, after the initial boost from his secured card reporting, the next noticeable increase may be when the card ages to 3 months. 

While I agree with most of what you say. I want to point out that the "AU zero penalty" doesn't apply to mortgage scores and if a mortgage is the priority then hhaving all the AU accounts report $0 and the primary account (once it reports) have a small balance i.e. true AZEO will result in a higher mortgage score. 

OP, once his new accounts report, pull his scores and see where he is at score-wise

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, these are all real FICO's.

I really hope you're right and the scores will boost once the credit card gets added to the file. I'm really tempted to add another card, but I'll leave it alone. 

Is there any risk to disputing this tradeline with the CRAs? 

Alternatively, has anyone had any luck with goodwills to NFCU?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, good to know. I don't know why it's taking so long for this card to show up on his report but hopefully I'll see a positive change. 

Message 7 of 10
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is there any risk to disputing this tradeline with the CRAs? 

Alternatively, has anyone had any luck with goodwills to NFCU?

What would be the basis for dispute? If the account is accurate, the dispute will only come back verified. 

I'm not sure about Goodwills with nfcu - but you can search using the forum search bar and see if anyone has shared their experience.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a couple of errors in the reporting. The payment history is incorrect. The high balance is incorrect. The payment terms are incorrect.  I was thinking about getting a correct accounting of his payment history and comparing that to the credit report because it looks like they're claiming he was late 120 days at two different times, which isn't accurate. His only 120 day late came right before the CO. Only one report has him 120 day late twice (TU) and that first 120 day late is almost 7 years old, but I'm not sure if that matters. The whole tradeline is not going to drop off his report until August 2022. 

Message 9 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are a couple of errors in the reporting. The payment history is incorrect. The high balance is incorrect. The payment terms are incorrect.  I was thinking about getting a correct accounting of his payment history and comparing that to the credit report because it looks like they're claiming he was late 120 days at two different times, which isn't accurate. His only 120 day late came right before the CO. Only one report has him 120 day late twice (TU) and that first 120 day late is almost 7 years old, but I'm not sure if that matters. The whole tradeline is not going to drop off his report until August 2022. 

Those are minor issues in the grand scheme of things. This is for the CO account, right? If so, the CO status supersedes all other negatives, such as the 120 day lates. Disputing would only cause another update to the account and possibly ding his scores further. Sure the inconsistencies may get corrected (the whole account wouldn't get deleted by the way; they would just correct the inaccuracies), but at what cost?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.