Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency Listing Inaccuracies on CR---Need Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Agency Listing Inaccuracies on CR---Need Help

I am currently cleaning up a 2 collections, I am first starting with the OC, but these 2 CAs are listing inaccuracies on my CR.  I wanted to know if I can dispute those the same way as a OC?  Should I take my complaint to the BBB?

Any and all advice welcome!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection Agency Listing Inaccuracies on CR---Need Help

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently cleaning up a 2 collections, I am first starting with the OC, but these 2 CAs are listing inaccuracies on my CR.  I wanted to know if I can dispute those the same way as a OC?  Should I take my complaint to the BBB?

Any and all advice welcome!

Please list the collections (remove any identify information) and point out the inaccuracies. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure I understand your advice, would you please clarify?

Message 3 of 18
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your advice, would you please clarify?

I want you to list the collection and  then tell us what you think is inaccurate about it. Sometimes people think they way things are listed on the credit reports are inaccurate but the accounts are in fact reporting correctly. Or there is truly something wrong with the amoun of the collection,t or dates, etc. Your initial post is very vague, and lacks any details about the inaccuracies on your credit reports and we need specific information about the collection in order to try and help. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha:  Here you go.  I am using Identity IQ credit report

LVNV -- CREDIT ONE

1. Experian:  Account Type: Open Account--Account Detail: Unknown, credit extension, review or collection.----DO: 5/1/17----Payment Status:  Collections/Charge off---Payments Listed on graph:  July-Dec Charge Off . ---Last Reported 12/4/17---Date Last Active: 7/1/17---Payment: Nothing Listed Date of Last Payment: Nothing Listed
  2. Equifax:  Account Type: Open Account---Account Detail:  Collection---DO: 5/1/17----Payment Status: Late 120 Days---Payments listed on graph: May OK, June OK, July OK, Aug 120, Sept OK, Oct-Nothing listed, Nov-Nothing Listed, Dec-Nothing Listed.
  3. Transunion: Account Type: Collection--Account Detail: Collection---DO: 5/16/17----Payment Status: Collection/Charge Off---Payments Lisited on graph: Nothing ----Last Reported 10/31/17----Date of Last Payment: Nothing Listed

LVNV FINGERHUT

1. Experian:  Account Type: Open Account---Account Detail: Unknown, credit extension, review or collection.---DO: 5/1/17---Payment Status: Collection Charge Off---Payment Listed on graph: Aug CO, Sept CO, Oct CO, Nov CO, Dec CO---Last Reported: 12/4/17---Date Last Active: 8/1/17---Date of Last Payment: Nothing listed
  2. Equifax:  Account Type: Open Account---Account Detail:  Collection----DO: 5/1/17---Payment Status: Late 120 Days---Payment listed on graph: Sept OK, Aug OK, Oct-Dec nothing listed---Last Reported: 10/1/17---Date Last Active: 10/1/16---Date of Last Payment: 10/1/2016
  3. Transunion:  Account Type: Collection---Account Detail:  Collection---DO: 5/26/17---Payment Status: Collection/Charge Off---No payments listed on graph---Last Report: 10/31/2017--Date Last Active:  10/31/17---Date Last Active: nothing listed.
Message 5 of 18
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha:  Here you go.  I am using Identity IQ credit report

LVNV -- CREDIT ONE

1. Experian:  Account Type: Open Account--Account Detail: Unknown, credit extension, review or collection.----DO: 5/1/17----Payment Status:  Collections/Charge off---Payments Listed on graph:  July-Dec Charge Off . ---Last Reported 12/4/17---Date Last Active: 7/1/17---Payment: Nothing Listed Date of Last Payment: Nothing Listed
  2. Equifax:  Account Type: Open Account---Account Detail:  Collection---DO: 5/1/17----Payment Status: Late 120 Days---Payments listed on graph: May OK, June OK, July OK, Aug 120, Sept OK, Oct-Nothing listed, Nov-Nothing Listed, Dec-Nothing Listed.
  3. Transunion: Account Type: Collection--Account Detail: Collection---DO: 5/16/17----Payment Status: Collection/Charge Off---Payments Lisited on graph: Nothing ----Last Reported 10/31/17----Date of Last Payment: Nothing Listed

LVNV FINGERHUT

1. Experian:  Account Type: Open Account---Account Detail: Unknown, credit extension, review or collection.---DO: 5/1/17---Payment Status: Collection Charge Off---Payment Listed on graph: Aug CO, Sept CO, Oct CO, Nov CO, Dec CO---Last Reported: 12/4/17---Date Last Active: 8/1/17---Date of Last Payment: Nothing listed
  2. Equifax:  Account Type: Open Account---Account Detail:  Collection----DO: 5/1/17---Payment Status: Late 120 Days---Payment listed on graph: Sept OK, Aug OK, Oct-Dec nothing listed---Last Reported: 10/1/17---Date Last Active: 10/1/16---Date of Last Payment: 10/1/2016
  3. Transunion:  Account Type: Collection---Account Detail:  Collection---DO: 5/26/17---Payment Status: Collection/Charge Off---No payments listed on graph---Last Report: 10/31/2017--Date Last Active:  10/31/17---Date Last Active: nothing listed.

And what part of report are you disputing? 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm disputing the inaccuracies from both accounts.  The payments listed, dates, etc.... each CRA is reporting differnt ALL across the board.  The collection agency has listed differnet information with each CRA.  The CRA is to report accurate information.  I have written them several times and they keep saying the information has been verified correct.  I have contacted LVNV several times and they aren't responding with a DV.  

Message 7 of 18
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

I'll I can see from the information there is a few of the dates are a little off but not by much. If you feel they are all truly wrong, I suggest contacting your state attorneys general's office (especially if the CA isn't responding to a DV letter - you are sending everything certified, return receipt, right? So there's a paper trail?) about getting the CRAs to listen to you. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, but this is frustrating. There are more than just dates. The information is being reported wrong, I can see this, its very obvious.  The bottom line is all 3 CRA have different information.  I wasn't sure how to deal with this and who to report to, since the CRA isn't very helpful.  

I'll ask someone else.....

Message 9 of 18
Remedios
Credit Mentor

If you re-read what Adkins wrote, he suggested several steps you can take to resolve inaccurate items in your report.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.