Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DV after Pay Off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV after Pay Off?

This might be a really silly question. I paid off all of my collection accounts. This was before I knew of this wonderful site. Can I DV  the collection accounts with zero balances? I don't mind that I paid, what my thought is...if they can't validate with all the documentation then it could possibly be removed from my report(s)...

I've seen other posts stating that collection accounts have been removed after a DV letter was sent out....but would this work in my situation??

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ficojoe
Frequent Contributor

Re: DV after Pay Off?

@Anonymous wrote:

This might be a really silly question. I paid off all of my collection accounts. This was before I knew of this wonderful site. Can I DV  the collection accounts with zero balances? I don't mind that I paid, what my thought is...if they can't validate with all the documentation then it could possibly be removed from my report(s)...

I've seen other posts stating that collection accounts have been removed after a DV letter was sent out....but would this work in my situation??

Thanks for the help!

With a paid off acount, they have no obligation to respond to a DV letter. Instead, your best option is a GW (goodwill) letter. If there is any error on the report, a DD (direct dispute) letter is possible too. Might as well try to ask nicely first though.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I was hoping it would be worth a shot as ridiculous as it sounds.

I feel like I've hit a brick wall....I've sent several GW letters out. I've only had luck removing one collection account this way. I have 5 left and the GW denials keep coming back...it's discouraging.

Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Don't get discouraged.  I made it a mission.  If one GW gets turned down, double it.  If those get turned down.  Double them again.   Eventually they may give up.  Just costs a stamp or an email.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.