Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default judgement while deployed.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Default judgement while deployed.

In February 2009, while deployed in support of OEF, I had a default judgement filed against me.  I've been told so many things by so many different people, my command JAG included, as to how to settle this matter.  I've been told to pay the full amount, try to settle, petition the court etc.  My ultimate end goal is just having the matter removed from my credit eport.  The original amount was $9500.  With interest and other fees it is $12,000.  I was never served notice of summons, but in TN, the fact that they sent it is good service. 

Any help would be great.

Seabee in Afghanistan

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Default judgement while deployed.

False!

I am not an expert on this...this is just my understand about things.

1.   You can file to vacate the judgement based on two things -

a) you were not served, therefore the judgment should be invalid

b) you were overseas at the time in a combat zone (?)

2.  If the debt is valid, you need to pay the original debt asap.  Being overseas does not excuse you from paying bills.  It just makes it harder.  When I say original debt, I am referring to what the debt was without legal fees/court costs/added interest since the court date.  But note, if were late before you deployed, then your case is weaker for leniency.

If this was me, I would immediately go for vacating the judgment.   (This would get it removed from your credit report eventually with some work.)   Then I would work with the creditor to get the debt paid of asap.  (You can even start to work with them now.)

I understand things are tough when you are deployed.  When DH first deployed, all payments were done by mail.  He accidently packed the Lowe's payment with him and had to mail from over there.  It was marked "late" on the CR and the creditor refuses to budge.  That was the ONLY late he had ever had with them.   We choose not to use their credit card.   The same thing happened with another credit.   Again, we won't give them our business.

Check your PM.

Message 2 of 3
themeggerz
New Contributor

Re: Default judgement while deployed.

My husband is currently OEF at Bagram Airbase.  YN.

When was this judgement filed?  There are laws against judgements if you are deployed.  Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/sscra/a/scra2.htm

Feel free to PM me.  

SCORES (2/2013): EX 795 TU 717 EXP 726
Goal: 800+ and Gardening

Wallet: NavyFed 15k AMEX BCE 2k Discover 3k BOA 5k
CapitalOne 2250 HSBC RZM 950 Best Buy SC 2900
GEMB/Paypal 3700 Merrick Bank 1k Zales 2k Barclays 1300 GEMB/AJMadison 3600 Walmart 800 VS 500 NY&CO 400
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.