Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete after paid

tag
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Delete after paid

I have ben working to repair my credit over the past two years by not letting anything negative getting reported and the past year working to pay things off.  I paid off a few debts I had with a hospital.  They had already went to collections but I paid the hospital directly, not the collections agency.  I paid these prior to really reading and learning about the process of repairing my credit tho.  My question is, is there any way to get them deleted now? They were sold to Central States Recovery.  I am in Oklahoma.  I apologize in advance as I am not fully up to speed on the all the terminology used when talking about this stuff.  Any information is greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Delete after paid

According to the credit reporting guide the CA must delete their trade line once the unpaid debt is paid to the OC. 

Message 2 of 28
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I spoke to the collections agency this morning and they said just bc I paid it doesn't mean it comes off my report. That is isn't their policy to remove it. I am not extremely educated in this whole system. I am learning tho. Thanks for your reply. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 3 of 28
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I would file a formal complaint to the FTC. 

Message 4 of 28
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Just some additional information. The debts were from 2011 I believe. And I paid them on March 07,2013 and the collection agency shows them being paid 3/12/13 but this is 5/15/13 and they still show up with a balance on my report.
Message 5 of 28
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Did you settle or paid in full?

Message 6 of 28
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

According to the credit reporting guide the CA must delete their trade line once the unpaid debt is paid to the OC. 

Not exactly.  It says if the debt is returned to the OC then they have to delete.  Or if a JDB sold the debt it has to be removed.

Message 7 of 28
Shellie
Valued Contributor

My credit score was 595 but has steadily fallen to 568 in the past 2 months. The only thing I can account this to is that my 1 credit card with a $300 limit had a balance of around $239 up from $198. And I had a car dealership "shotgun" my credit. I have gotten that cc paid down to around $175. I am now aware of the impact on having a balance with in that high of ratio to available credit. I will have it paid down to a $10 balance within the month. I'm hoping for a substantial increase in credit score.
Message 8 of 28
Shellie
Valued Contributor

I paid in full to the original creditor. I never even contacted the collections agent until this morning. Over 2 months after the bill was paid.
Message 9 of 28
guiness56
Epic Contributor

What do you mean by "shotgun".  Never heard that before.

If you paid the OC they are responsible for telling the CA.  However, since it is paid and the CA is showing a balance due you can dispute as paid.  It will only update the TL to reflect paid unless the CA doesn't respond to the dispute.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.