Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Charge Off as Authorized User - Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover Charge Off as Authorized User - Help

Hi guys I have 1 baddie left on my Equifax report.

I am being reported as an Authorized User on a Discover Account that was charged off for $4k. This was over 2 years ago.

Is this affecting my credit a lot? 

Is there anyway to remove myself as Authorized User? I never used this card. I think a family member or friend put me as Authorized User..

If I write to Discover or call them, will they remove it?

Any advice will be helpful! Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Discover Charge Off as Authorized User - Help

A charge-off is a serious major derog and is definately having a negative effect on your score.

You want it removed yesterday.

There are no formal regs regarding the removal process.  Since the reporting is done on the OC account of the party who authorized the additon of the AU to your file, it is usually best to have the principal account holder notify their creditor to report deletion of the AU and cease any further reporting.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Robert said... you need to have the actual account holder call and try to remove you as AU. Good luck ☺
Message 3 of 5
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Just go online and dispute it with each CRA telling them you are not responsible for the debt as you are an authorized user only.   They will remove it from your account.   I did this with a bunch of accounts with my ex.

I could make you an authorized user on one of my accounts and then default and it would be pretty absurd for them to require me to approve removing it from your report.   You signed nothing to become an AU, you never used the card.   Dispute it and it will go away immediately.   If not, you raise holy hell (but they will just delete it).

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah ive tried calling and i do remember them saying something about having original account holder remove me. As i do not know who the original account holder is, that is not an option.

I have already disputed with Equifax, hopefully they remove me.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.