Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Secured Deposit Amount

tag
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

Discover Secured Deposit Amount

What is an ideal amount to deposit if I plan on keeping a zero balance ?  In the drop down on the approval it says I can choose up to 2500

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover Secured Deposit Amount

As far as I've seen the amount doesnt matter for rebuilding purposes but if you go minimum when its unsecured you'll have a low limit card still. So, my plan (if i even get a secured card), which may not be your decision, is to do as high as I can so that when it graduates they'll give me a higher limit (ego purposes lol)
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go with what you can afford having tied up for an indefinite amount of time.
You can always make multiple payments throughout the month so that you benefit from the cashback rewards, etc
Message 3 of 23
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

Is there an assumed correlation between secured limit and unsecured when possible?

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. Your secured amount doesn't seem to weigh on how much they unsecure you for.
What they look at more is responsible use and overall credit.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my Discover secured card last September and started out with a limit of $200. I eventually rose it all the way up to $2,000 before it unsecured earlier this year. Honestly wish I put in the entire limit of $2,500 because I've been struggling to get a CLI from Discover.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've seen... if you deposit 250 then its unsecured it may increase a little but not to 2500+. If you secure with 2500 then it'll unsecure at 2500+.
Message 7 of 23
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Everyone has different experiences and opinions... I secured mine with the minimum $200. For 7 months I put $69.95 on the card (myfico monthly fee and a pre paid cellphone). With the exception of 2 Bill's I paid in full before statement cut.

After the 7th statement they refunded the $200, unsecured the card and increased my limit to $1,000.

I'm sure spending habits, and payment have more to do with it than how much you deposit.

Other posts indicate Discover likes you to slide the card frequently and to pay in full often YMMV
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 8 of 23
bondsandloan
Regular Contributor

Put in how much you can afford. But yes higher the secured limit, greater the chance it secures at a higher limit.
I put in a $800 deposit & mine unsecured for $2,500.
Message 9 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

This kinda falls under what, when, and how will Disco give anyone a SP CLI. No one knows the formula and maybe never will. No one has the same outcome. But I agree it would be better to put as much as possible. First you'd have a pretty good CL. Secondly. When you go for another card after building your profile. The new creditor will give (possibly) a higher SL seeing you handled the $2500 and was responsible with that amount. Good Luck!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.