cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERC deleted but still calling me

Firstthingsfirst
Valued Member

ERC deleted but still calling me

Experian deleted a bogus erc collection from my report back in 2020. Got a call from a number which turned out to be ERC. (Didnt answer the call. I just googled the number) Why would they still be calling me? Seems shady. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: ERC deleted but still calling me

I would answer the phone and find out.

 

As an aside, when you say it was a "bogus collection," was there some sort of official determination that the debt was either not yours or was never delinquent, which would have terminated their collection authority per se?

Message 2 of 9
Firstthingsfirst
Valued Member

Re: ERC deleted but still calling me


@RobertEG wrote:

I would answer the phone and find out.

 

As an aside, when you say it was a "bogus collection," was there some sort of official determination that the debt was either not yours or was never delinquent, which would have terminated their collection authority per se?


It wasn't mine. I disputed it, and Experian also determined the account was not valid and was deleted as a result. 

Message 3 of 9
Cowboys4Life
Contributor

Re: ERC deleted but still calling me


@Firstthingsfirst wrote:

Experian deleted a bogus erc collection from my report back in 2020. Got a call from a number which turned out to be ERC. (Didnt answer the call. I just googled the number) Why would they still be calling me? Seems shady. 


Disputing with the bureaus does not necessarily mean the end of the issue.  You need to send a cease and desist letter (do not use a cut and paste letter from the internet) with the basic facts of your situation.  i.e.:

 

Dear ERC:

 

I have received collection calls regarding account: [creditor]  this account is not mine and I refuse to pay it.  Cease and desist contacting me about this account.

 

Sincerely, 
Firstthingsfirst

 

If they continue collection activity after that then you have grounds to sue them under the FDCPA and state laws.

Message 4 of 9
Firstthingsfirst
Valued Member

Re: ERC deleted but still calling me


@Cowboys4Life wrote:

@Firstthingsfirst wrote:

Experian deleted a bogus erc collection from my report back in 2020. Got a call from a number which turned out to be ERC. (Didnt answer the call. I just googled the number) Why would they still be calling me? Seems shady. 


Disputing with the bureaus does not necessarily mean the end of the issue.  You need to send a cease and desist letter (do not use a cut and paste letter from the internet) with the basic facts of your situation.  i.e.:

 

Dear ERC:

 

I have received collection calls regarding account: [creditor]  this account is not mine and I refuse to pay it.  Cease and desist contacting me about this account.

 

Sincerely, 
Firstthingsfirst

 

If they continue collection activity after that then you have grounds to sue them under the FDCPA and state laws.


I'll definitely do this. 

Message 5 of 9
babygirl1256
Valued Contributor

Re: ERC deleted but still calling me

@Firstthingsfirst I totally agree with @Cowboys4Life because in the past I had to do the same thing, to really shake them up I also included the following statement, "In addition, I am currently utilizing telephone recording devices in order to document all telephone contact." They do not want to be recorded and there are so many free phone recordings available; check your state laws as it's legal in Texas (only one party has to be aware of the recording . . . LOL, that's me, I am aware of the recording. Wishing you great success in finally resolving this issue. 

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 6 of 9
Jenm2891
Established Member

Re: ERC deleted but still calling me

I hope this has been resolved for you. I had a large one through them for an ATT bill that was not mine. After disputing the charge it was removed from all three CRA's. They called me once after that, I didn't answer. Then they sent me a letter confirming that the debt could not be validated and that they are ceasing all collection activity. 

Between the deletion and the letter it was about 3 weeks. 

Starting scores fico 8 07/22/2019:
Experian: 560
Equifax: 489
Transunion: 567
Collections:
Experian: 14/10,412
Experian: 12/10,576
Transunion: 13/6,957
————
Current Fico 8 (05/25/21):
Experian: 622
Equifax: 580
Transunion: 614

Collections:
Experian: 2/4372
Equifax: 4/6,036
Transunion: 1/1,217
———————
Goal: 700 club across the board.
Message 7 of 9
FireMedic1
Super Contributor

Re: ERC deleted but still calling me

Life's too short. Block the number. Trying to get that last ditch effort to see if you'd fall and pay it. Just like the zombie collectors.





My posts are JMHO. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just sharing my experiences after learning here from rebuild to recovery after BK DC 540's. And to show fellow members what can be accomplished when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 8 of 9
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Re: ERC deleted but still calling me

I have also had good luck reporting collection agencies to the state attorney general. If they run afoul of state law, they could lose their license to collect in this state.

 

ive only made 3 complaints about various things to our state AG but they have always responded.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.