cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Federal Credit Control-- at an impasse-- what do I do next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Federal Credit Control-- at an impasse-- what do I do next?

Would love a 'gut check' of my plan of action, thanks SO much!

I have a $40 collection (from a medical bill) that I'm trying to negotiate for a PFD (I'm wiling to pay the full $40) with First Federal Credit Control (the debt is roughly 6 years old)-- they've indicated that they'd send me an email immediately upon payment indicating that they'd delete it, but that they will not/cannot issue assurance before payment. I'm NOT willing to pay with a verbal promise, only a written one PRIOR to paying. So we're at an impasse-- and neither of us seem willing to concede.

I believe that the next logical step is to dispute the debt with the credit bureaus and hoping that they fail to verify the debt in time. 

If the dispute doesn't drop it off of my credit-- then I might have to take the plunge and risk having only a PIF and not a PFD. 

Does this make sense? Or is there something else that I should attempt first? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Federal Credit Control-- at an impasse-- what do I do next?

Sigh. I just had the same issue with first federal credit control. Evidently, I went about it the wrong way. But now that I've educated myself on these crazy collection companies, I know better. I paid my debt with them because it was $200 bucks. They never sent an email. I called back and she gave me this ridiculous story about how someone else was on her other line, claiming their daughter has the same email, and she's a minor bla bla. Basically, I never got correspondence. I will see what happens in a few weeks, as far as the account. I also disputed it. Even though I paid it.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sigh. I just had the same issue with first federal credit control. Evidently, I went about it the wrong way. But now that I've educated myself on these crazy collection companies, I know better. I paid my debt with them because it was $200 bucks. They never sent an email. I called back and she gave me this ridiculous story about how someone else was on her other line, claiming their daughter has the same email, and she's a minor bla bla. Basically, I never got correspondence. I will see what happens in a few weeks, as far as the account. I also disputed it. Even though I paid it.

What is the basis of the dispute?

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @SpartanGirl924; that, unfortunately, confirms my fears that they won't do what they verrbally promised to do. I have disputed the account with all three bureaus as I have no knowledge of this debt-- let's see what happens. I wish you the best of luck-- keep us posted and I hope that it's deleted ASAP!

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Would love a 'gut check' of my plan of action, thanks SO much!

I have a $40 collection (from a medical bill) that I'm trying to negotiate for a PFD (I'm wiling to pay the full $40) with First Federal Credit Control (the debt is roughly 6 years old)-- they've indicated that they'd send me an email immediately upon payment indicating that they'd delete it, but that they will not/cannot issue assurance before payment. I'm NOT willing to pay with a verbal promise, only a written one PRIOR to paying. So we're at an impasse-- and neither of us seem willing to concede.

I believe that the next logical step is to dispute the debt with the credit bureaus and hoping that they fail to verify the debt in time. 

If the dispute doesn't drop it off of my credit-- then I might have to take the plunge and risk having only a PIF and not a PFD. 

Does this make sense? Or is there something else that I should attempt first? 

You are basically cutting your nose off to spite your face with such intransigence. There are very good reasons the CA's are often hesitant to put such promises in writing - none of which involve screwing you over.

You have the option to record such a verbal promise in order to protect yourself. A verbal contract is every bit as enforcable under the law as a written one is - particularly if you have a recording of the agreement.

Message 5 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If hte debt is legit,, how can you dispute by stating that you have no knowledge?

Additionally,, assertion of debt not mine is extremely easy to handle.  They need only respond back to the CRA that they verify that they have basis for concluding the debt is yours.  Asseritons of debt not mine are properly handled by way of the identity theft process, which require a sworn police report with criminal penalties for knowingly false statements.  Can you make such a sworn statement that you have no knowledge of the debt?

Finally, even if the furnisher did not, for some reason, verify within the 30-day period, deltion based on lack of verification is never absolute.

They can, at any future time, simply submit a certification of accuracy and have their deleted reporting reinserted.

I woud take their veribal offer, which is an enforceable oral contract, rather than file what is apparently a frivolous dispute.

I would suspect that, after receiving such a dispute, they may take their prior verbal PFD offer off the table.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 6 year old collection for $40 isn't doing squat to your score.  So if you know it is yours, and are willing to pay it, PIF or PFD really won't make much of a difference.  But personally I don't think disputing as "not known" is not the right thing to do.  You DO know about it.  I guess I'm just not a huge fan of disputing things in a blatently false way, and I have seen several posts on that lately. Yours is a tiny, tiny issue, but I do think if we want CRAs and CAs to play fair, then we should play fair too.  There are too many real mistakes to go after. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 15
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

A 6 year old collection for $40 isn't doing squat to your score.  So if you know it is yours, and are willing to pay it, PIF or PFD really won't make much of a difference.  But personally I don't think disputing as "not known" is not the right thing to do.  You DO know about it.  I guess I'm just not a huge fan of disputing things in a blatently false way, and I have seen several posts on that lately. Yours is a tiny, tiny issue, but I do think if we want CRAs and CAs to play fair, then we should play fair too.  There are too many real mistakes to go after. Smiley Wink

^^^Well said 2kids2cats, perfect response. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the insight-- I should have prefaced this convo by saying that I'm new to this, so please be gentle! Smiley Wink

I send a PFD request via email this morning to the woman I spoke with over the phone yesterday-- and this is her written, via email response:

Good Morning I received your email and like I said yesterday we do not have a letter prior to payment.I am willing to talk to you while I send emails to be sure you receive it and we report to the credit bureau at the end of each month. It could take up to 45 to 90 days for all three agencies to get it completely deleted like it was never there. Feel free to call and we can take care of it over the phone. Have a good day

^so, my question is should I decide to pay it (and I *do* want to settle and pay my obligations-- both morally and to clear up my credit report)-- AND should they fail to delete it, can the above be used to request deletion from the bureaus myself? Thanks in advance!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the insight-- I should have prefaced this convo by saying that I'm new to this, so please be gentle! Smiley Wink

I send a PFD request via email this morning to the woman I spoke with over the phone yesterday-- and this is her written, via email response:

Good Morning I received your email and like I said yesterday we do not have a letter prior to payment.I am willing to talk to you while I send emails to be sure you receive it and we report to the credit bureau at the end of each month. It could take up to 45 to 90 days for all three agencies to get it completely deleted like it was never there. Feel free to call and we can take care of it over the phone. Have a good day

^so, my question is should I decide to pay it (and I *do* want to settle and pay my obligations-- both morally and to clear up my credit report)-- AND should they fail to delete it, can the above be used to request deletion from the bureaus myself? Thanks in advance!

No. The CRA's have a policy of NOT deleting based on payment. This is the primary reason CA's are hesitant to put it in writing - having such written agreements endangers their contracts with the CRA's. Record your call (and save that email), making it clear that complete deletion is being promised, and if they fail to remove it after 90 days, you have good reason to sue them. An ITS (Intent to sue) letter to the CA would serve to get their attention.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.