Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GLA Collections - **bleep**?

tag
SSPA87
Regular Contributor

GLA Collections - **bleep**?

Okay, so I need to know what to do next...

I sent GLA Collections a PFD letter around Feb 23rd.  It was a PFD for the full amount.  Today I received TWO letters from GLA - one that is itemized for the 2 accounts I was referring to.  The other is a collection letter that is somewhat rudely written.  "According to our records, you have refused to make any arrangement to pay your past due account.  We cannot understand why you do not wish to clear this debt.  You leave us no choice but to continue collection efforts to collect this account." 

**bleep**?!  I *TRIED* to pay this account - I specifically contacted them offering them the PFD.  They made NO mention of the PFD in either of their letters. 

What do I do now?  Email them and state that I offered the PFD and am still willing to do a PFD?  Send it snail mail again?  *Headdesk*  This is so dang frustrating.

Starting Scores: EQ (MyFico): 561 TU (MyFico): 579 - 2/15/13
Rebuilding Scores: EQ (MyFico): 597 (6/11/13) TU (MyFico): 606 (6/12/13)
Current Scores: EQ : 665 TU : 649 EX : 704

Cards: SDFCU $250 | Cap1 Secured $750 | Victorias Secret $500 | Amex BCE $4k | Chase FU $2k | Cap1 QS $1k | PenFed Promise $3.5k | Wayfair $1k | Care Credit $1k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: GLA Collections - **bleep**?

You made a conditional offer.

They apparently dont accept the extra condition.

You are apparently dealing with their run of the mill process handled by clerical personnel.  They most likely have a standard policy not to grant credit report deletion.

I suggest you attempt to get your offer to a management official who has the authority to grant exceptions to the standard denial you are getting from their underlings.

Message 2 of 11
SSPA87
Regular Contributor

The itemized letter does have a handwritten name and direct line phone number on it - should I try to call that person and talk to them over the phone??

Cards: SDFCU $250 | Cap1 Secured $750 | Victorias Secret $500 | Amex BCE $4k | Chase FU $2k | Cap1 QS $1k | PenFed Promise $3.5k | Wayfair $1k | Care Credit $1k
Message 3 of 11
WillF360
Regular Contributor

I'll be following this thread.  I have several with GLA, and would love more information if you do get in contact with someone who can help you. I have 4 particular very small GLA collections for the same treatment.  Best of luck, hopefully someone can chime in with the information that you're looking for. 

In the Garden since 9/15/13... Goal Date 4/15/14 (WISH ME LUCK)
Closed on First Home 9/13/2013: USDA RURAL HOUSING
Lender Pull 7/25- EQ 673, EX 693, TU 670
Credit Card Approvals: 9/15- Discover It $4500; Chase Freedom $3500; Amex Blue $5000
Goal Score: 720 | Starting Scores (2/12): EQ 493, EX 521, TU 463
Message 4 of 11
SSPA87
Regular Contributor

Will,

I recommend sending them a PFD letter.  You will then probably receive the two letters I got - I called the handwritten direct number on the one letter and talked to a very nice guy.  He was very helpful and told me that while they are not able to put it in writing, that they would be willing to delete the accounts as one time courtesy if I paid in full.  He said that he would send a letter to me stating such once he received my payment and that he would personally keep an eye out for my payment.  He was nice, polite, and helpful.  Definitely worth it.  I sent payment and according to him, the accounts will be deleted from my CR within 15 days of them receiving my check.  :-)  So all ended up well on this one.  I will update again once the accounts are gone from my CR. 

Message 5 of 11
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

I realize this is a couple of months old but I wanted to add my GLA experience.

I had 2 GLA accounts on my CR that I called to pay off. They informed me that I had another account with them that wasn't showing up on the CR. He stated that as a one time offer if I paid all three accounts in full they would remove the accounts from the CR. I had planned on paying the two accounts, the third account was for $200.

The way I looked at it was I was paying $200 to have the accounts totally removed from the CR. Seemed like a good idea to me. I paid all three accounts in full. About a week later I recieved a packet from GLA, it contained a list of all three accounts along with a seperate letter for each account saying it was paid in full and was being removed from my CR. 

On the next CR pull all of the GLA accounts were gone.

Overall it was a good experience and couldn't have been happier.

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 6 of 11
3Pelicans
Valued Member

I actually just worked through something with GLA on an old medical collection bill.  I called, I asked if I paid in full would they remove it from my credit reports.  They said yes.  I paid, they sent paperwork saying they would remove it from my reports.  2 weeks later it was gone. 

They wouldn't send me any paperwork until I paid the full balance and although that isn't the best solution it worked for me.  

Good luck. 

Message 7 of 11
SSPA87
Regular Contributor

Yes, GLA was easy to work with - Paid and they did delete (though it did take a bit longer than anticipated due to the timing of payments & when they report to the CRAs)  I can only hope that the other medical debt I have will be as easy to remove when I am able to pay it! 

Message 8 of 11
slowride
New Visitor

because of the new fair debt collection act you do NOT pay the collection agency trying to collect the debt. contact the original creditor and pay them. when u contect them u ask them to send u in writing that they will remove this from your credit report its called a pay & removal when they agree and send you an email that they will have it removed in writing then you pay them in full. and u can also ask them what they would settle for.some times they will take a lower offer just to get the debt settled

Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@slowride wrote:

because of the new fair debt collection act you do NOT pay the collection agency trying to collect the debt. contact the original creditor and pay them. when u contect them u ask them to send u in writing that they will remove this from your credit report its called a pay & removal when they agree and send you an email that they will have it removed in writing then you pay them in full. and u can also ask them what they would settle for.some times they will take a lower offer just to get the debt settled

What are you referring to? 

The OC has no say in what, when or how the CA reports.  They can recall the debt or ask them to remove but they don't have to.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.