cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General question---what's a good basic blueprint to get into the 700s?

tag
bass_playr
Established Contributor

General question---what's a good basic blueprint to get into the 700s?

OK, so I've been making great progress in my rebuild.  No collections, no public records, no liens, etc.  The most recent late pay I have is a couple of 30 day lates on one paid off auto loan...the lates were in 2015.  Goodwill got me nowhere so they are there for the duration, it seems.  I have installment loan credit in the form of 2 paid off auto loans and one current auto loan--never late on the open one.

Installment--

Self Lender, $500, paid in full, closed 2018, never late

Santander, paid in full and never late, closed in 2020

Credit Acceptance, paid in full, a couple of 30 day lates from 2015, closed in 2016

C1 Auto Finance, opened in 2020, never late, balance $12K(this was a refi to shave off a good chunk of interest from the Santander loan)

Cards--all open and never late:

C1, $500 limit, $300 balance

Discover, $2900 limit, $1300 balance

Guitar Center, $1000 limit, 0 balance

Home Depot, $1500 limit, 0 balance

C1 Quicksilver, $1000 limit, 0 balance

Paying down the higher balances as we speak, intend to keep $100 or so on Discover, all else will be zero, this should be done in the next 4 weeks.

No student loans, no mortgage.  

Current FICO 8's

EX 641

EQ 666

TU 657

When I pull up my FICO auto scores, they look like this:

EX 640

EQ 670

TU 668

Obviously, paying down the CC balances as above will help.  But since I have no collections, no other lates aside from 6 years old ones, where would I go from here to boost scores?  I want to get into 700s, anticipating a vehicle purchase in the next few months and I'm after that 0% rate for Chrysler Finance.  TIA

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: General question---what's a good basic blueprint to get into the 700s?

@bass_playr wrote:

OK, so I've been making great progress in my rebuild.  No collections, no public records, no liens, etc.  The most recent late pay I have is a couple of 30 day lates on one paid off auto loan...the lates were in 2015.  Goodwill got me nowhere so they are there for the duration, it seems.  I have installment loan credit in the form of 2 paid off auto loans and one current auto loan--never late on the open one.

Installment--

Self Lender, $500, paid in full, closed 2018, never late

Santander, paid in full and never late, closed in 2020

Credit Acceptance, paid in full, a couple of 30 day lates from 2015, closed in 2016

C1 Auto Finance, opened in 2020, never late, balance $12K(this was a refi to shave off a good chunk of interest from the Santander loan)

Cards--all open and never late:

C1, $500 limit, $300 balance

Discover, $2900 limit, $1300 balance

Guitar Center, $1000 limit, 0 balance

Home Depot, $1500 limit, 0 balance

C1 Quicksilver, $1000 limit, 0 balance

Paying down the higher balances as we speak, intend to keep $100 or so on Discover, all else will be zero, this should be done in the next 4 weeks.

No student loans, no mortgage.  

Current FICO 8's

EX 641

EQ 666

TU 657

When I pull up my FICO auto scores, they look like this:

EX 640

EQ 670

TU 668

Obviously, paying down the CC balances as above will help.  But since I have no collections, no other lates aside from 6 years old ones, where would I go from here to boost scores?  I want to get into 700s, anticipating a vehicle purchase in the next few months and I'm after that 0% rate for Chrysler Finance.  TIA

I see that all your late payments were in 2015, so sometime in 2022 they will hit 7 years and fall off on their own.   Are you familiar with "early exclusion"?   If not, you should look it up on this site.   You can get derogatory items removed up to six months early depending on the credit bureau.   I believe this works on late payments and not just charge-offs, but someone else can chime in if I am mistaken.   Regardless, when those lates fall of this year, you should see a nice jump in your scores.

Message 2 of 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: General question---what's a good basic blueprint to get into the 700s?

Your on the right track getting util %'s down. Lates on loans hurt in the FICO installment arena and 8 of course. But they'll be gone soon as @CH-7-Mission-Accomplished explianed how to accomplish that. Let what you have grow some more and age and 700+ will come. Util is getting you at the moment. Post what you end up with once your at AZEO. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.