cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Letter to Citibank...Suggestions?

tag
bluescale
Regular Contributor

Goodwill Letter to Citibank...Suggestions?

I've put together a first draft of a goodwill email to Citibank.  Since this is my first attempt at putting one together, I'd love to get any feedback.  Is it too long?  I've taken a few (very minor) liberties with the facts.  Other than that, this is pretty much how things went down.

Dear Mr. Linville,

I'm emailing you today in regards to a Credit Card account I opened with Citibank in 2007.  This was one of many cards I've had with Citibank, dating back to 1997, when, as a college student, I received my first credit card.  I've always been very satisfied with Citibank's consumer products and customer service.  I've sent several letters to the General Correspondence mailing address in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, but I have yet to receive a response.  I write to you today to ask for your assistance.

In 2008, like many Americans, my wife and I felt the effects of the global economic crisis.  Unlike many Americans, we had the wherewithal to quickly adjust, tighten our belts, and weather the storm until the economy recovered a bit.  Unfortunately, in August of 2008, my account with Citibank went overbalance and 30 past due.  At the suggestion of your customer service team, we enrolled in a consumer credit counseling  service, Money Management International (MMI).  During our time in credit counseling, we made all of our payments on time or early.  In fact, as our income increased, we were able to make additional payments to our lenders, and finished the program one year ahead of schedule (July of 2012 instead of July of 2013).

Early in 2011, I learned of the free annual credit report consumers are entitled to.  When I pulled this report, I was shocked to learn my account with Citibank showed 31 consecutive months of 30 day late payments.  I immediately called Citibank, and spoke to a very helpful woman who explained that, while I was paying in accordance to the terms agreed upon during debt counseling, I had never covered the initial overage amount ($219, I believe).  This is why my account continued to be reported as 30 days late each month.  During that phone call I made the necessary payment to cover the overage, and asked if the many late notices could be removed.  The representative I spoke to was very understanding, but made it clear that no adjustments could be made until I had completed the terms of my credit counseling.  She suggested I contact Citibank once my obligations were met.

Now that I am a year removed from credit counseling, I'd like to appeal to you to have a goodwill adjustment made to my credit reports for the numerous 30 day late records.  I whole heartedly acknowledge that this due to my mistake and a misunderstanding of how my account would be handled while in credit counseling.  I understand this is probably not a request that you'd normally consider.  I hope you can appreciate the unique nature of this situation, and will consider making an exception in my circumstance.

The account in question is [account number].  As the account has been closed since I entered consumer credit counseling, and since I completed the program a year ago, I do not have the complete account number available.  The number above is what is listed on my credit report.  Hopefully this will be enough to locate my account.

I'd like to thank you very much for your time and your consideration.  If there is anything I can do to help you make your final decision, please don't hesitate to contact me at this email address, or at [phone number].

Kind Regards,

bluescale

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
jeremyd82
Contributor

Re: Goodwill Letter to Citibank...Suggestions?

Citi has denied me 5 times to remove a 30 day late on a 0$ balance account. Is that a specific Citi contact you addressed this to>?

8/2012 485 FICO
2/2013 611 FICO
6/2013 602 FICO

Message 2 of 23
bluescale
Regular Contributor

CEO of their credit card division.  I'm going to guess at his email address.  Chances are, it will be read by an executive admin or go to an executive team, which is exactly what I want.

http://www.citigroup.com/citi/about/leaders/jud-linville-bio.html

Message 3 of 23
bluescale
Regular Contributor

So today I pulled the trigger and sent off the goodwill email.  About 4 hours later, I received a call from executive customer service informing me that she will review my account to see if there's anything she can do for me.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

Message 4 of 23
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Any updates with this?

Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 5 of 23
JMF18

I sent out a tweet calling citibank douche bags etc. They messaged me back and wanted my phone number to help. Their social network people escalated it to the executive level and I got a call back the same day. They say they are working on it, but they don't usually take things like that off because if they do it for me then they have to do it for everybody. So what?? Do it for everybody then! Everyone who asks at least. Good luck!

Message 6 of 23
bluescale
Regular Contributor

@Focker69 wrote:

Any updates with this?

Whoops!  I didn't mean to leave people hanging.  I posted about this in another thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/My-Citi-GW-experience/td-p/2251903

To make a long story short, yes they did help me out Smiley Happy.

Message 7 of 23
AirStarr
New Visitor

Can you send me the email address as well?
Message 8 of 23
negril2005
Established Member

Hi

This is good news. Would you kindly also PM me your email contact? Would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you

Message 9 of 23
ja23

can you send me the info as well? please
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.