Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill letters on late payments ---UPDATE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill letters on late payments ---UPDATE

Hi All,

Sorry I'm new here, so not sure if it is required to bring up past discussions on the topic or if ok to start new ones.  Anyway, I lost my job in 2015 and moved across country, took me about 8 months to find a new job. With that, I had a few 60-90 day late payments on two Cap One cards and one Discover card. Since then, they have all been paid off ($10k , $2k and $2K limit) they were never closed and I now use them for small items monthly with no late payment since 2015.  

Regarding the goodwill letters, I've sent them to both Capital One and Discover. Also a email to discover. Got denied all 4 times with letters back to me saying Fair Credit Reporting Act requires them to report the account accurately.

Am I wasting my time sending more to different offices/contacts? I see people have suggested the method of sending as many as possible, but are goodwills a thing of the past and not effective now?

Thanks

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Goodwill letters on late payments

No they are not a thing of the past, some grant them others wont, Discover is one tough cookie always has been. The older they are the better the chance.

Message 2 of 41
myriamma01
Established Member

They're definitely not a thing from the past. I just got 1 late payment from creditone removed,2 from synchrony bank and capital one walmart has agreed to remove 2 late payments all payments were only about 8 months old. Just keep trying. 

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Regarding the goodwill letters, I've sent them to both Capital One and Discover. Also a email to discover. Got denied all 4 times with letters back to me saying Fair Credit Reporting Act requires them to report the account accurately.

They are not wrong. The FCRA requires the information reported to be accurate. I've never had success with GW letters, but I have had success requesting exclusion of derogatory entries. In essence, reporting is at the discretion of the OC, they dont have to report, but if they do it must be accurate. But they can choose to exclude the payments for those months instead, and that's perfectly legal. I try to explain that on my letters and it has worked for me. 

"I know the Fair Credit Report Act requires the information being reported to be accurate. The FCRA, however, also dictates that is not mandatory to report any information at all and reporting is at the full discretion of the creditor. I know this account is being report accurately but, in the interest of customer service and goodwill, would it be possible to request an early exclusion and extend a one-time courtesy to remove the late payment entries from 2015 from my credit before the full 7 years have passed?" 

Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodwill letters on late payments ---UPDATE

Just an update. I have done the saturation method the past two weeks. Got some denials again -, but woke up this morning and checked my reports. 

Come to find out , all of my Discover late payments from 2015/2016 were gone.  Two weeks ago I emailed the CEO and got a denial, so just started sending more letters to multiple locations. Never got any calls backs, just denial letters. 

So not sure which contact worked, but they are gone from all 3 reports. Credit jumped about 35 points on average on all 3 reports.

I'm still trying to tackle Capital One, but this gave me some boosted confidence.

Message 5 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just an update. I have done the saturation method the past two weeks. Got some denials again -, but woke up this morning and checked my reports. 

Come to find out , all of my Discover late payments from 2015/2016 were gone.  Two weeks ago I emailed the CEO and got a denial, so just started sending more letters to multiple locations. Never got any calls backs, just denial letters. 

So not sure which contact worked, but they are gone from all 3 reports. Credit jumped about 35 points on average on all 3 reports.

I'm still trying to tackle Capital One, but this gave me some boosted confidence.

congrats! 

Message 6 of 41
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 41
credit8502020
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! 

Message 8 of 41
marylandgurl9988
Established Member

@myriamma01 if I may ask where did you send the letter for credit one? I have an account with them and I would to try and have my 2 late payments removed. 

Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have only sent to Capital One, not Credit One.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.