Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with FICO Score Increase for Mortgage

tag
775orbust
Valued Member

Help with FICO Score Increase for Mortgage

My credit was in a pretty good place, but a month ago I paid off my only installment loan and my score plummeted up to 20 points.  I am looking into getting a new car. It is 36k. I figured this would be help with increasing my score or wouldnt it be?

My goal is to have a higher mortgage score to qualify for good mortgage rates. I included what I owe below. I can pay off all of my consumer debt right now but was fearful in doing so as I'm afraid of another credit score plunge. Please help me devise the most optimal plan and getting my score up. I'm desperate, worried and scared I'll never be able to get a reason able mortgage.

These are my scores:

Equifax 708, mortgage score 708

Transunion 746, mortgage score 701

Experian 736, mortgage score 709

I owe:

Capital one $179.70/$3500

Discover $670/$5500

PayPal $294/$2900

Student loans:

Aes- owe $4200

Great lakes- owe $15000

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Re: Help with FICO Score Increase for Mortgage

Your student loans should count as an installment loan. So you shouldn't have lost points for credit mix. Was there anything else that happened at that time? Have you pulled your free reports?

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Help with FICO Score Increase for Mortgage

If those are the only 3 cards you have you are losing points for all of them reporting a balance, you want 1 card only reporting less than 9% of its CL.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.