Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Rebuilding / Need Advice

tag
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm Rebuilding / Need Advice

@Ktl72455
The equipment, i took back to the cable company. I paid the debt portion, i paid with collections & they're the ones who said they couldnt' take it off. They said it will get updated to "Paid in Full". Both places, the cable company & the debt collector confirmed the equipment collection WILL come off the report because of the fact that it wasn't an actual "money balance" problem. Thanks for your question!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 11 of 24
RonM21
Valued Contributor

So Ktl your saying pay the first statement before the due date basically.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 12 of 24
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Jandj80 my question is when you say leave that balance of maybe 20% on the first one, are you saying not to pay in full & get an interest charge on the first bill, so that it will report activity on the account?

Message 13 of 24
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

If these are the only 2 cards you have, when the bill comes in , on the due date.....On one PIF and let the other one have a tiny balance and pay the interest on it. It will do your credit good to show you can have a balance and pay on time and are not maxed out or close to it.

Leaving a zero balance will look like you got the cards but dont use them. 

I pay mine all on Line and even though it dont instantly show on the account it is paid, it will still post as paid on that date. Normally when you make a payment on line it will say something like: Payments made before 4pm will post to your account today, after 4pm will post the next business day.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 14 of 24
RonM21
Valued Contributor

So pay one of the cards in full and leave a minmal balance on the other.  How high should the leftover balance be percentage wise?  I think one of you said 9% maybe.  And when I purposely leave the balance, I'm assuming pay the rest on time, outside of the balance I want left over, then pay all of that off after the statement posts/New billing cycle?

Then, my next question would be when do I leave a balance on the other card, or should I always pay that off? 

thanks

Message 15 of 24
jandj80
Regular Contributor

Do the same thing to both cards the FIRST month. Leave 9% on them both, let it post to the statement, and then pay the interest and payment down to zero on both cards. 

The second month, leave one card with 9% and pay the other one to zero BEFORE the statement cuts. 

The third month, leave the 9% on the other card, and pay the other one to zero. 

Always leave 7-9% on ONE card and have all others report at 0 balance. 

You need to show that you are using each account, and paying your payments on time. If you never use one, it will show nothing for last payment amount, highest statement balance, etc. and the CRA will assume you are not using it. Also, a creditor can close your account for inactivity, so you need to use them each at least once in a while. Best thing to do is use each card to fill up gas once a month, or put a small debt on autopay (electricity or water bill) and then leave the card alone the rest of the time. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 24
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I had the feeling you were going to say that. I trust you know what you talk about. It's interesting because all over the web you see different answers to this. I've even seen the so call experts talking about don't ever leave a balance. As i said I'm thinking you know for sure, but it interests me how many answers are out there. Thanks for giving me more info.

Message 17 of 24
jandj80
Regular Contributor

It is rumored that the 7-9% will give you the BIGGEST score boost. However, there is nothing wrong with PIF every month, but you should always PIF before the statement. If you wait until the statement cuts, and you have charged $900 on a $1000 card, your score will dive. Even if you pay that off when you get the bill, the CRA reports what your statement says, which would leave you at 90% util. That could cost you a ton of points, so never let it report a high balance. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 24
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Understood. I certainly can tell u I will not be letting that happen. 10% is prob the average I'll stay at when I do make purchases. I'm not running that risk of even being in that situation.

Message 19 of 24
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Good news update: I was following up on my disputes. The interesting thing is that when I follow up on them it shows me the latest info, almost like giving me new copies of my reports. The biggest news is that apparently, the #1 thorn in my reports, AFNI the phone bill collection that was showing in collection with a 626.00 balance, seems to have been deleted all together! I emailed Afni about trying to settle for delete, but it seemed they werent having it. Then (contrary to normal believe) I sent them a nasty email about decrepancies on the amounts (I didnt believe I owed that much, but had no proof). I told them about how I had info to support what I'm saying and so on & that they better figure it out with proof & if they cant, delete it! They emailed me back the same day, like a week ago saying they would investigate & message me with their findings. Hadn't heard anything all week. Then I'm checking into some things this morning and SURPRISE: It is deleted from all 3 credit reports. This is big for me because I had 3 collections. 2 were from the same cable company (which I paid in full, trying to get delete from Comcast), but those 2 were only reported to Experian. This one though was on all 3. I think this was a nice win!

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.