Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideal way to structure debt for best FICO scores and reduced interest

tag
myquestionsfico
Regular Contributor

Ideal way to structure debt for best FICO scores and reduced interest

I'm currently going through a divorce and having to take on some additional debt.  I am about 6.5 years into my rebuild, so the timing isn't great.  I have a number of CO's that will be dropping off in the coming months, but before them I will need to rent a home of some kind, so I want my FICO scores to be as high as possible.

I have a number of credit cards and about 20K in total CC debt, and can conceivably move all 15K of this (5K is already with PenFed) - to take advantage of 0% balance transfer for a year - to my two PenFed cards, where I have about 45K available credit.  So I'm thinking that I should move it all to PenFed - to either one card or both.

Any recommendations about how to spread it out (one card or two) to maximize my FICO scores?  I won't be able to stay under 28.9% either card, but is this a better approach than leaving so spread out across multiple (6-7) cards today.  I realize that one benefit is certainly no interest for a year, after which I can move to another no interest card or two.  My goal is to reduce it as fast as possible and keep my scores as high as they can be in the process, if possible.

3 REPLIES 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Ideal way to structure debt for best FICO scores and reduced interest

Definitely spread it out on 2 cards, at least utilization won't be quite as high that way on any one individual card, though it'll still be high. What are the limits on those 2 cards?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the cards are  both with the same bank, try reallocating some of your credit limit to one card, then use that card? Maybe you'd stay under the threshold that way. 

Message 3 of 4
myquestionsfico
Regular Contributor

That's a great idea, but I think PenFed maximum per card of 25K, so not sure I can go over that.  I can ask!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.