Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Collections - Data Points

tag
lns1976
Regular Contributor

Interesting Collections - Data Points

I have accounts I let lapse with Verizon and  CFNA both report to my reports but no collections on my reports.

Last month I contacted CFNA to be told it's at a collection agency and got that information (not on my report).

Yesterday I contacted Verizon and was given the same information.

CFNA Collection Agency informed me yesterday they had sent it back to CFNA.  Contacted them this morning and they told me the new CA but also informed me they still own the debt and I call and make monthly payments directly to CFNA bypassing the new CA completely and paying the OC.

Dates Matter - CFNA DOFD was 2/2020 was handed off to collections summer of 2021 (believe the CA said July) and was handed back to CFNA by that collection agency 3/2022.

Verizon Collection Agency informed me yesterday (same day I was informed it was at collections) that they had sent it back to Verizon.  I did not get a date of when Verizon sent it to the CA, but Verizon still owns the debt.

Contacted Verizon this morning and I am now on payment arrangements with there internal CA.

DOFD with Verizon was 2/2020 as well.

At this point, 2+ years after DOFD both companies still own the debts, neither one has sold the debts although they have both had CAs involved at various points over the last 2 years.

Some of the delay on these being sold (because I know Verizon does sell debt, not sure about CFNA) could be due to COVID.  

Personally I'm grateful they still own the debt and I'm not dealing with the CFNA and Verizon Tradelines along with collection agencies on my report for these and now I'm paying the OCs directly avoiding the CAs interest and fees. Smiley Happy

Fico 8 3/27/2022 EX: 611
Vantage TU/EQ 3/26/2022: 613/613
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Interesting Collections - Data Points

Very nice. Did CFNA list it as a charge off? Hope not. But least it will show you paid your debts and thats looks better for future credit. Congrats!

Message 2 of 6
lns1976
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Very nice. Did CFNA list it as a charge off? Hope not. But least it will show you paid your debts and thats looks better for future credit. Congrats!

Both already list as a CO, I was primarily working to prevent another listing with a CA on my report on top of the tradelines themselves.

CFNA seemed to hint that there might be options on correct that once paid off.

Verizon flat out said once paid off I could open a new account and that once paid off it sounded like they would remove it from the CRAs, we will see though.

Message 3 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Well CFNA will no longer affect your util %'s once it reports a $0 balance. Then its gone 7yrs from the DoFD date. Hopefully Verizon honor the deletion since your going to stay a customer. Could use that as a win win situation. Hey I messed up but want to remain a customer. Pretty please delete? Smiley Happy As stated least these accounts wont show owing any longer.

Message 4 of 6
lns1976
Regular Contributor

@FireMedic1 Verizon actually just says "In Collections".  CFNA says "Charged Off" although CFNA isn't selling the debt they are retaining the debt and outsourcing to collection agencies so once paid off they might change their tune, I don't know.

I hadn't noticed Verizon didn't actually say "Charge Off" just "In Collections".

Message 5 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Yeah Verizon does their own thing until they give up and sell it to a CA. One hit avoided. Least once paid. No more updating monthly.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.