cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to have paid collections removed?

tag
cedric_86
Valued Member

Is there a way to have paid collections removed?

This is in regards to accounts paid over a year ago.

It seems like when I call and ask, they say they aren't allowed to.  They have to report the accounts.

Is there a law that backs this statement?

How would this be done?

If the paid collection is removed does that change the AAoA?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Is there a way to have paid collections removed?

Creditors have an agreement with the CRA's to report accurate info and not to delete that info. Creditors pay the CRA's to report their info. But some do it anyways for a business decison like the CA's that PFD. They get more revenue back that they paid to obtain. There's no law. Collection accounts dont affect AAoA's.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Creditors have an agreement with the CRA's to report accurate info and not to delete that info. Creditors pay the CRA's to report their info. But some do it anyways for a business decison like the CA's that PFD. They get more revenue back that they paid to obtain. There's no law. Collection accounts dont affect AAoA's.

i am not sure if it is a vantage score thing or a CK, credit sesame, wallet hub, credit wise, and all the free credit sites thing, but for some reason they add CAs into the AAoA.

I just got a notification that my AAoA went down today because a CA was removed.

It doesn't affect FICO scores when CAs are removed, as they are not included into AAoA.

Most lenders use your FICO scores, so I would not worry about it! Having CAs removed are better over having one on your CRs any day.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

VantageScore 3.0 ignores collection accounts with zero balances in the calculation of credit scores. Never heard about AAoA's being considered in any scoring model on paid collections.

Message 4 of 17
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

Creditors and collections agencies must report always accurate and honest information and that is true. There is an important part that is ignored and has helped me get several removed.

All that agreement aforementioned says is that any information that remains on your report must be true and accurate. 

Based on FCRA Section 623 (7)(E)  they are not required to report the account or any negative information it is entirely at their discretion.

So as such they can remove the reporting of the account at their discretion but are not required to-do so. My interpretation as I've argued before and won is once an account becomes negative they can choose to remove the account pursuant to FCRA Section 623 (7) (E).

Starting Score (12/01/2021):

Current Score (03/01/2022):

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

VantageScore 3.0 ignores collection accounts with zero balances in the calculation of credit scores. Never heard about AAoA's being considered in any scoring model on paid collections.

I said when my CA was removed

Message 6 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

As I said. There are many collections agencies that will delete accounts once paid. There are some that wont even report if you make contact in a certain timeframe and never report it. The creditors can do what they want. The CRA's dont pay the creditors. The creditors pay the CRA's to report. So if they want it on your report. They will pay to have it there for a reason. To protect other creditors to look out for one another in a way. @RobertEG will explain it much better then any of us when he comes on.

Message 7 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@cyrusvalentino wrote:

Creditors and collections agencies must report always accurate and honest information and that is true. There is an important part that is ignored and has helped me get several removed.

All that agreement aforementioned says is that any information that remains on your report must be true and accurate. 

Based on FCRA Section 623 (7)(E)  they are not required to report the account or any negative information it is entirely at their discretion.

So as such they can remove the reporting of the account at their discretion but are not required to-do so. My interpretation as I've argued before and won is once an account becomes negative they can choose to remove the account pursuant to FCRA Section 623 (7) (E).

That why people do GW letters and some are successful. Yes the creditors as I said can do what they want. What worked for you doesnt apply to every poster here. You had good luck and some dont.

Message 8 of 17
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 - While I'm not disagreeing with you some have success and others don't. Isn't the purpose of responding to this person's topic to give them steps we've tried and had success with so that they may also use them. 

Just because I was "lucky" doesn't mean they won't be lucky using the same method. Others have also been lucky using the same method. There are so many methods to try, like with older debts you can use 1099c's against the businesses based on new guidance etc.

Ultimately, I was giving the OP the steps to try next if all else fails or they get the standard textbook denial after saturation.

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 9 of 17
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

@cedric_86 Who is the Collection Agency  over the account your trying to have removed? Also how old is the account?

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.