Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint BK 13 - question about rebuilding with secured cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint BK 13 - question about rebuilding with secured cards

Hi everyone.

My attorney told me our trustee doesn't care about us obtaining new credit during our Chapter 13 plan. So I've been doing a lot of reading here and I think we are going to go with OpenSky and GreenDot secured cards (because of no credit checks) plus a Self builder loan. Question is - can I open each card and add my wife as an authorizer user - or do we each need to open our own cards? We filed jointly so we both need to rebuild. Just not sure whether it has the same effect to be an AU or to be the primary. It factors in because we'd have to be forking the funding for the secured cards and loan(s) and I don't want to put out more money than necessary.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

Re: Joint BK 13 - question about rebuilding with secured cards

It would probably be best if she got her own cards to start. The things that help with being an AU are, good history and age and low utilization on the card. Being that it would be a brand new card to you it may help her but not as much as being the primary on her own cards. 

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.