Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment set aside!!!! HAPPY :)

tag
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Re: Steps to Vacate. I need HELP!!!!

great I'll start by calling them and seeing what I can get. Hopefully they can fax me a vacate form or mail it to me.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 11 of 41
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Re: Steps to Vacate. I need HELP!!!!

UPDATE 

I looked up their website and found contact email for the municipal judge. I emailed her a letter explaining the situation and asking for her guidance on the best option I have going forward.

Will post back if this is any help.

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 12 of 41
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Update: Steps to Vacate. I need HELP!!!!

Second update:

No word back from the Judge yet. In the meantime Ive contacted the courthouse and got the attorneys information. When I called the number, I was sent to a collection agent, generic cubicle clown Im sure, that had no idea what vacating was and kept puting me on hold to talk to the "office manager". Then I asked for the attorneys contact phone, email, and/or fax information. She refused to provide it, and tried to send me back to discover saying they dont report to the CRAs that discover is reporting the Judgement. To which I stated discover said the courthouse reported the judgement and It would need to be vacated through them to be removed. I got frustrated with this woman and she said to call in a couple of days, but not to expect anything.

So I looked the attorneys email online and sent him the information today requesting his assistance in vacating the judgement and explained the situation as to how it got to that point with me being unaware.

Cross your fingers I get some type answer regarding this.

If anyone knows of additional steps I can be taking let me know!

Message 13 of 41
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Update: Steps to Vacate. I need HELP!!!!

I think you've done everything that can be done at this point.   I wouldn't expect the CA to be helpful regarding vacating the judgement...contacting the attorney is the right step.   Good luck !

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 14 of 41
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Update:

I emailed back and forth with the attorney this week and last. explaining why I needed it removed and offering to pay for any costs. I got an email saying that the judgment will be "set aside", and he hopes this helps with my mortgage process.

What is "set aside" mean to my credit?

Message 15 of 41
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

Update:

I emailed back and forth with the attorney this week and last. explaining why I needed it removed and offering to pay for any costs. I got an email saying that the judgment will be "set aside", and he hopes this helps with my mortgage process.

What is "set aside" mean to my credit?

Maybe he is telling you that he will file the motion to vacate ??  Did he mention a time frame or anything else ?  

Message 16 of 41
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

nothing else was mentioned. he said he was setting aside the judgment and sending it to the court that day. havent heard back since.

Im going to call the court next week and check on the status. If he did vacate, how do I get the reporting deleted?

Message 17 of 41
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jcstarkey8826 wrote:

nothing else was mentioned. he said he was setting aside the judgment and sending it to the court that day. havent heard back since.

Im going to call the court next week and check on the status. If he did vacate, how do I get the reporting deleted?

Ok, it sounds to me like he is going to file a motion to vacate the judgement.    Assuming that is what he is doing, the judge will have to approve and sign it.    I would expect the court to send a copy to you, if they have your address.    You should be able to call the court to get the status of the motion to vacate.

Once you have a copy of the order vacating the judgement then I believe you should be able to send it to the CRAs to get the judgement off your reports.

Message 18 of 41
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

Wow, I sure hope that is what he is doing!!! I emailed the judge as well last week, no response. No problem, Im sure he's busy. I was just annoyed they told me to type up something "legal looking" and send in saying I wanted to vacate. That doesnt sound legal at ALL! and I didnt know how to file it because they said they didnt have forms or do that.

Hopefully this will happen and end my frustration. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UPDATE: Steps to Vacate. I need HELP!!!!

I recently went through this same thing, and like you did not have any kind of motion filed so I had no idea it had escalated to a judgment.

Ideally, you would have requested the Order to Vacate Judgment, or Order to Set Aside Judgment, when you paid it off. But you can still try. I don't think you'll need to go to the expense of hiring an attorney...I didn't. LIkewise, it doesn't matter if you're not in the same state. I worked through the attorney for the collection agency.

On the summons or judgment, it should have the name of the attorney that filed the claim against you. Start there. Call them up (or email them, so you can get it in writing) and tell them you want to request an order to set aside/vacate judgment be filed on your behalf. If you don't have the paperwork anymore, your credit report will have the case number as well as the court the judgment was filed in. The attorney will usually charge you for this...I had to pay $100, but obviously it was worth every penny. Make sure they understand that you want a SET ASIDE/VACATE judgement form and NOT a "Satisfied Judgment" form.

If they agree, and I honestly don't know why they wouldn't since they have your money and you're paying for the service, then they'll file it with the court within a few days. Then, the judge has to sign the order and you will pick it up (takes a couple weeks or up to a month depending on how on top of it the attorney's office is) or have them mail you a certified copy. Then, make copies and send them to the credit reporting agencies.

Good luck, this is what I did and it worked out just fine. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

**I just read through the entire thread...sorry, you had already done all of this! Yes, to answer your quesiton, the judgment he is filing is going to completely ERASE it from your credit. Congrats!!!***

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.