Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercantile Adjustment Bureau

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mercantile Adjustment Bureau

Hey guys,

I just got a new CA posted on my credit file that brought my credit score down a lot! Yes, I am pretty bummed and pissed about it! Just as my credit score dragged itself to the low 600's this new CA has brought it back to where I started 3 months ago. I'm back in the 580's. This is so frustrating! What's even more frustrating is that this agency has not reached out to me either via mail, phone nor e-mail to inform me. Thank God, I had credit monitoring! I called them more than three times only to be put on hold and transferred back to the beginning of their automated messages. Then I tried to reach them via their "contact" form, no luck! Then, I got on touch with my utility company that posted the account, (I found the reference to be the name of my utility company) to understand DoFD. Now, I called them again to verify and see if I can send them some good will letters. No answer! I did a little snooping around and found out their company VP, President and another Key Personnel's e-mail and mass e-mailed them. The next morning I have a voicemail from their operations manager! Again, back to same cycle.. They seem very unresponsive. I'm even afraid to pay them! Has anyone had a similar experience? Were you able to PFD or DV? If so, please PM me the contact details for the person.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Mercantile Adjustment Bureau

DV is not an issue of good will, it is a right under the FDCPA.

If they have not yet sent you a formal collection (dunning) notice, you can send them a DV, which will be timely, and thus impose an automatic bar on any continued collection activities until they have first provided the requested debt validation.

Do you contest the debt, either as to its amount or its validity?

If the debt is valid, then you might wish to forgo the DV process and send them an offer to pay in exchange for deletion of their reporting from your credit report.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the debt is from PSE&G, the utility company that I used to have at my old apartment. Their records indicate that I haven't paid that one bill of $134 in Dec'12 but I lived there till Jun'13. I never got a bill nor was my service disconnected. So, I really do not know how to handle this. But I am willing to pay and get this behind me as I seriously need to improve my credit! Suggestions please?

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would first make an informal call to the utility company and ask for an explanation.

That may help in deciding whether you consider the debt legit.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call the utility company. See if they still own the debt and will accept payment to pull this back from the CA. If not, contact the CA and offer PFD. Good luck. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did call the utility company about asking them if I could pay them and the Rep put me on hold asked someone and came back to me saying that they can't. I also sent multiple e-mails from the President to the manager asking for DV, PFD and one just to acknowledge receipt of my e-mail. Haven't gotten a phone call, e-mail nor a letter. This is really frustrating!

Message 6 of 10
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Send them an ITS.  The bill was ALLEGEDLY from Dec 12, yet you had an active account that was not disconnected until you canceled much later.  They have never established that you actually owe the money.  They then "illegally" send the account to collections.....  I would hammer the OC.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Omg! I just hung up the phone with the OC doing that and they have agreed to remove the collections if I paid in full. I need to go to their customer service center in person and pay it. She literally said the collections would be gone if I paid there. Right now, I'm not looking to contest the bill as their billing department says that I owe them a total of $134 from Dec'12 to Aug'13. Which to me sounds ridiculous as my monthly bill comes out to that much at least during the heating season! I'm going to their office on Monday. 

Message 8 of 10
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Done! I just paid my bill and waiting for the collection account to fall off my file! 

Can anyone advise on what I need to do after this? Should I call up the OC or get a DV next week from the CA?

Also, I got my uti % down but it doesn't reflect on my report! Gonna wait till end of this month till I dispute that information.

So glad I found this forum!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.