cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie here. One Collection Account Left

tag
ReeRee15

Newbie here. One Collection Account Left

Hello fellow members, this is my first time posting here and I need a little bit of help and opinions.

I have one collection account on my credit. My credit score right now is 625 and I am hoping to get it to 640 if I pay off this collection that is being held by American Collections Enterprises. The amount is $168, and I can pay it in full. 

Should I get it deleted or have it shown as paid in full? Credit Karma says having it showing as Paid In Full will get it 2 points higher than removal. Do I call this company or do it written from the beginning?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I have a lot of student debt, in the tens of thousands, still showing as paid as agreed because I am still in graduate school. I plan to work a position in the non-profit or government sector and do the Loan Forgiveness Program. However, I would like to purchase a house one day and wondering about the impact it may have on the purchasing process. I am reading that if I begin a payment plan now, and select a low payment, that the lender may or not may accept that payment. I am reading that Fannie Mae loans may accept the payment as agreed. Anyone with experience with that?

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Newbie here. One Collection Account Left

Deletion of a collection is always best if you can get it deleted that will get you your biggest boost. If not just pay it because it reporting every month is holding your score down. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 6
ReeRee15

Thank you for the response. I'll begin that process!

Message 3 of 6
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

pay to delete

is the best option

also, if they refuse to delete 

pay it as soon as possible

some gov't jobs are closed to folks with bad debts and/or credit

Message 4 of 6
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@ReeRee15 Welcome to the forum . . . I would certainly request American Collections Enterprises to delete the item if paid. Please make sure that you get the agreement in writing before paying. Wishing you success as to work to rebuild your credit. You will gain a tremendous amount of knowledge by participating in this forum . . . Best wishes!!!

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 5 of 6
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yea ignore what CK says. Getting a collection removed will always be more beneficial than simply paying it.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.