Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Steps After Capital One

tag
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Next Steps After Capital One

So we all know Capital One is very forgiving on past derogatories. I guess my question who is the next step up in trying to get approval from? Not talking right now, but maybe in the next 5-6 months? In 5-6 months should I just stick with Capital One and go for a Venture card? I have banked with Wells Fargo for years and I could try for their CC but I suspect they are pretty stringent? Looking for some suggestions going forward as I am very much at the beginning of the rebuilding process.

Current Approvals:

Capital One Quicksilver - $1000

Capital One Quicksilver One - $1000

Overstock - $950

FingerHut - $200

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Next Steps After Capital One

I would garden for awhile and let your scores go up.  At this point you wont be helping yourself with the cards you would get. 

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 28
stellar
Established Contributor

Barclay, Discover and Amex like clean thin files, so some ppl have gotten those early in their building.

Otherwise, Bank of America secured and Discover secured both graduate.

Message 3 of 28
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

@stellar wrote:

Barclay, Discover and Amex like clean thin files, so some ppl have gotten those early in their building.

Otherwise, Bank of America secured and Discover secured both graduate.

With a minimun 6 month history, a year is probably even better. I already made the mistake of confusing fair credit score to mean just that, They want a thin file showing history Smiley Wink Discover & Barclay, can't speak forAmex. Came out of the garden & trampled my seedling Smiley Sad all for not

Message 4 of 28
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Doing nothing until July is really hard to do. Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AutoBot wrote:

So we all know Capital One is very forgiving on past derogatories. I guess my question who is the next step up in trying to get approval from? Not talking right now, but maybe in the next 5-6 months? In 5-6 months should I just stick with Capital One and go for a Venture card? I have banked with Wells Fargo for years and I could try for their CC but I suspect they are pretty stringent? Looking for some suggestions going forward as I am very much at the beginning of the rebuilding process.

Current Approvals:

Capital One Quicksilver - $1000

Capital One Quicksilver One - $1000

Overstock - $950

FingerHut - $200

Unless you have a year's credit history, Barclays won't touch you.  Discover is iffy at best.  You might be able to get in with Amex, but will probably only get my $500-$1000 SL and then they tend to keep you in SL hell.  As for Venture, you'll need higher scores.  When I got it, my scores were much higher, but I had to purchase furniture and my UTI has gone up, but I plan to have all of it paid off by June, so I expect to start seeing it rebound after June.  Work on getting the Cap1 cards you have to increase,, then consolidate them into 1 QS.  Overstock will grow, but YMMV.  Mine seems stuck on $3100, but others have reported great growth on it.  Don't know about Fingerhut, but with time and good history, it will probably grow also.  Given your EQ score, in six months, you might have good luck with SDFCU since they pull it.  Good luck.

Message 6 of 28
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Guess I will continue working on getting the  charge-off accounts to report a $0 balance. Seems to be easier said than done. Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AutoBot wrote:

Guess I will continue working on getting the  charge-off accounts to report a $0 balance. Seems to be easier said than done. Smiley Frustrated

Know it seems daunting, but it can be done.  How many charge offs do you have left?  If they are all out of the Statute of Limitations work on paying off the smallest first.  As they stop updating then you will see a small change in score until they are all taken care of and no longer updating.  PFD is the best, but I have one with Midland and they won't budge, so I'm stuck, but I'll just keeping plugging along until the day comes that it is gone. 

Message 8 of 28
AutoBot
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AutoBot wrote:

Know it seems daunting, but it can be done.  How many charge offs do you have left?  If they are all out of the Statute of Limitations work on paying off the smallest first.  As they stop updating then you will see a small change in score until they are all taken care of and no longer updating.  PFD is the best, but I have one with Midland and they won't budge, so I'm stuck, but I'll just keeping plugging along until the day comes that it is gone. 

I have a KOHLS/CAPONE and 2 SYNCHRONY (amazon/walmart) charge off accounts. All of them are well out of SOL.

I haven't talked to KOHLS yet.

SYNCHRONY sent me a 1099-C for both accounts this year. I asked if they planned on changing the balance to $0 on both accounts since I paid taxes on both. Their response is below....

Please accept this letter as written confirmation; Synchrony Bank is no longer reporting the above mentioned accounts. Please allow up to 60 days for these updates to be reflected within your personal credit reports. Please reatin this letter for future reference.

As reqired by the statue of limitations, Synchrony Bank is no longer persuing collection activity on these accounts. The statute of limitations does not change our obligation to accurately report account history. We last reported the Amazon account on <date> for the amount <$$$$> and reported the Walmart account on <date> for the amount <$$$$>. As the accounts have been reported accurately, your request to alter the reporting of the accounts is respectively declined.

Message 9 of 28
AutoBot
Established Contributor

I wonder if Chase Freedom requires the same credit range as Capital One Venture card.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.